Brooder box

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FreddyC, Sep 10, 2014.

1. FreddyC

FreddyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    I know it's way early but at work I have had my eye one one of those card board water melon boxes. One became empty today so I jumped on it. My spring chicks next year will have a nice big area now. So excited I had to share.....lol. :)

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Awesome! Bet your chicks will love it!

3. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awesome! [​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Great thinking - after all, the best boxes (melon, pumpkin, etc) are out of season when you need them - you are all set now!

5. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Good size box. Is it on a pallet or does it have a cardboard bottom? If it is a cardboard bottom, buy a roll or two of cheap contact paper and line the box with it on the inside. To help protect the box from moisture! Good luck!

6. FreddyC

FreddyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    No pallet just cardboard bottom. Will do just that. Thanks. It's a huge box!!!!!!!![​IMG]

7. jeepgrl

jeepgrl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last night my husband built our chicks a room addition. So now instead of an one room apartment, they have 2! They just sat there and picked at everything for a while, and then finally calmed down. My husband was really excited when they sat on the roost.

My question is, the roost is metal conduit, do you think they will have difficulty keeping grip on it? Maybe we need to spray it with a textured paint?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by