Brooder Build Sanity Check

You will find you don't need it for long, hence using something that can easily be removed. Even very little chicks with mama hens can get lost sometimes.

By 2 weeks I expect my chicks to be able to find their way back to their brooder if given access to the whole chicken enclosure (525 sq ft), so their navigation ability progresses fast.

I usually take mind down in less than a week. Definitely by the time they can fly a little because my barrier is only half-high.

Thanks, Ridgerunner. I'll check out the meat section. Given the screened in patio, insulated roof, etc. they should be protected against wind, etc.

As to cleaning, given the partition comment, and I am planning on making a two piece screened top for it. I can just herd them in one side, scoop out the bedding, put fresh and move them over.

OK, good to know on the heat lamp. I think if I just have one angled at the corner, that should do it for them.

Very good to know not to worry about it being too hot. When I move them to the tractors I'll likely cover two sides with a tarp to keep the wind out until they get to about 8-10 weeks.

Also good to know about the temp swings. Tomorrow's high is 56, but all next week the low is in the 60s with highs in the 80s. They don't arrive until 2/1, so there's no telling what the weather will be in Feb/March.

If you're aggressive with weaning them off heat, they should be off heat around 4 weeks, if not sooner (due to your warmer temps) - at that time they can be moved into the tractors. OR alternatively, if you can run electricity to your coop/run location, you can try brooding the layer chicks inside the set up with the laying hens, so you can simultaneously work on integrating them with the flock while also acclimating them to outside temperatures.

Thank you both for these replies. This is quite helpful.

Ideal temp for the brooder is around 70 with area for them to be under the lamp or away from it if possible, correct?

Ideal temp for the brooder is around 70 with area for them to be under the lamp or away from it if possible, correct?
Don't think there's really an "ideal" for temperatures away from the heat source, as long as it's cooler than the heated area. When I'm brooding outdoors the temperatures are usually around mid-40sF at night, up to about 60-65F during the day.

OK, good to know on the heat lamp. I think if I just have one angled at the corner, that should do it for them.
Better to not have it in corner as they tend to huddle, and some can get trapped in corner and can suffocate with that many chicks. Best to keep it in middle of one end just not right at end in a bit to give them room to scatter around and not huddle as much in one spot. Other than that, you have been given good info. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom