1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Bulb Color for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GentFarmer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. GentFarmer

GentFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

On an earlier thread, someone mentioned avoiding a red bulb for the ducklings' brooding lamp. There was mention of potential damage to the eyes, but there were no follow-up comments/suggestions. I'm just pulling that one out, as I'm considering adding ducks to my homestead. Bonus points for links to the bulbs you've used! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's a lot more research into lighting for chickens than ducks. For chickens, red limits picking but blue is more calming. Ducks have better night vision than chickens. You can completely shut chickens down with darkness.
    Here's my thoughts. All animals need a dark period (hemeral lighting). I keep light on chicks 24/7 for the first 3 days so they can eat and drink whenever they get the urge. After that I start giving them a dark period. For heat I use ceramic emitters rather than heat lamps. They're more efficient and you can control day length.

3. GentFarmer

My approach with my chicken flock was similar. Now that I've got an established flock and coop, things (in theory) are a bit easier. As with anything, though, there's always more research.

Hello to St. Louis, by the way. I originally grew up in Southern Illinois. California is a world apart, especially with yard birds. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have been using a red heat lamp on my ducks for the past 3 winters. This is the same bulb that I used to brood them. Heat lamps are only available in white and red. I was told that red was the best for quail so I have always used red. For my quail I just painted a light bulb red. I never heard it was bad for ducks.

5. ducksinarow

Mar 12, 2011
    Southern Illinois - what town? I live here.

6. GentFarmer

Ha! I grew up in Johnston City, about 25 miles from Carbondale.

7. ducksinarow

Mar 12, 2011
    I live in Carterville, so hello long lost neighbor. That's about 20 minutes from me.

8. GentFarmer

lol. Oh, I know exactly where you are. I dated a girl once who lived in Carterville, and my dad once worked there. I also take my son fishing out at Crab Orchard when we're back in the summers.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So what possessed you to leave all this snow and sustained zero temps. Don't you miss it? [​IMG]

10. hoggja

hoggja New Egg

Jan 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by