1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Bullies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by factorychick, Mar 11, 2016.

1. factorychick

factorychick New Egg

Mar 11, 2016
    Holland, Ohio
    This is my 2nd year of chicks so still fairly new to the chicken life. This year I decided to get 6 Rhode Island reds along with a dozen others all around 2 weeks old ( buff orphingtons, eastereggers, black copper marans, etc). I guess the marans and ameracaunas I got last year were so chill in comparison, but I feel like these RIR's are wild brooder bullies. I ended up separating them from the others since they just trample and constantly pick at them. Is this normal for that breed to be like this?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have never had them either but, have read that they are aggressive birds.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've had a couple RIR's that I raised from chicks and never had any trouble with them in the brooder alongside Easter Eggers. Once they got older, one of them became the head hen of the flock but she wasn't a bully at all...she kept the peace by keeping everyone in their place but wasn't mean about it. The one RIR bird I have now is about 2 1/2 years old and is a sweetheart. Based on my experience with them, I think they have sort of a bad reputation but there can be the bully within any breed.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by