Brooder, check. Baby food, check.

Not till April or May.
hit.gif

I'm getting them from a Farm Supply store. You put in what you want, they make a list, and whatever breeds are most popular, they order. It's easier than directly from a hatchery because we don't have to account for dead fuzzbutts or go to the post office.

On the top of my list is Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, and Buff Orpingtons, but it depends on what other people order...

Don't worry, it will be here before you know it!!!! I hope you get the ones you are wanting! I have bought from a feed store here, and I agree, it makes it nice not having to worry about the babies dying in the mail, etc.

Morning!!!

They came in at 3am this morning but DH didn't get the call until 7. YIKES!! They all were a little chilled but cheepin!! What a relief...
DH told the guy on the next shipment to call him right when they come in. When DD gets her heiny out of bed (no school today or Monday) we'll get some pics posted. I'm just thankful they're all boppin around.
love.gif

YAYYYYYY!!!!! Can't wait to see the little darlings!!!

Welllllllllll.................mine got to my PO at about 8:15
th.gif
I was starting to panic! I know my PO doesn't open 'til 9:00 though so I assume that is when the truck comes. I had a scare. Opened the box and everyone looked goood except my one tiny porcelain dutch bantam, lying dead, trampled under the other babies. Got the box home and pulled her out to dispose of her. She lightly twitched.
ep.gif
She immediately went in a separate box under the heat and I started trying to get her to eat a bit off egg yolk. She is standing with her eyes open now!!! Still very weak but I think she is gonna make it! Everyone else looks good! Some seemed weak so I gave them egg too. They are all looking really perky now! How many did you end up with? I ordered 19, got 30!!!! 10 RIR boys and one extra Self Blue Silkie.
smile.png
My motehr has offered to take the RIR boys with her chicks since she only got a few and she will re-home them. I thought I could get them and raise them out for meat.....UMMMMMMM.... NOT! Do you realize how cute a RIR baby is???????

Will get pics on in a bit.

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I'm so happy the little one came through!! What a miracle!! Poor baby. I got everything I ordered, no extras and hopefully all girly girls. My little Slvr Spngld Hamburg is looking a little worn out, she's the smallest and I only got one of her so I'm keeping and eye on her and one of my Houdans. Then there's a (I think) Ideal 236 that was grabbing the others toes and pulling!!!! So we got a bully amongst the ranks already
smack.gif

Hopefully get pics when dd comes back from the dead and makes an appearance
roll.png

And unfortunately for my DH, I'm one of those that cannot raise something I intend to eat. So all my guys are for eggs or pets. He wants to get a steer and a pig. I'm having a REALLY tough time with that. But yes I do know how adorable these guys are and could never kill one to eat.
love.gif

And I just have to say aren't the little naked necks the cutest little things ever!!! They gave me a black one and a buff/redish one..
ya.gif

Last edited:
YAYYYYYY for babies!!!!!
wee.gif
Can't wait to see yours!!!

Alright, here are baby pics.
smile.png
Pardon the quality....used my cell phone instead of my goood camera. Too cool...you got the same kind of NN I did...one black one reddish.
smile.png

Peanuts.
smile.png
(there are 10 but at the time of the pic I had only noticed these)
021320093245.jpg

La Fleche group pic (4 girls one boy)
021320093253.jpg

La Fleche closer
021320093287.jpg

Barred Hollands
021320093271.jpg

My NN darlings!!!!
021320093282.jpg
021320093283.jpg

Anconas
021320093263.jpg

Silkies (2 self blue 2 white)
021320093259.jpg

Buff Minorcas
021320093265.jpg

White Crested Black Polish Bantams
021320093252.jpg

My sweet little Porcelain Dutch Bantam...still weak but improving a LOT!!
021320093293.jpg

YAY!! PICTURES!!!
celebrate.gif

I didn't know you could feed babies eggs. I guess it makes sense, though. Do you cook the yolk at all? Do you feed them whites?

When you get them, are they separated by breed? I was just curious.

Last edited:
What I do is separate the egg and feed just the yolk raw. They will gulp it down too.
smile.png
Since that is what they use for all their first nutrition, it is custom made with what they need.
smile.png
Unfortunatey, they aren't separated. I use feather site to know exactly what each baby should look like.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom