Brooder chicks 1 month old sneezing , projectile lose poop

Silkieks

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2022
Hello , looking for a little advice or to see if anyone as experienced something similar. I have been raising chicks since fall and have my grow-outs.. outside. With spring approaching I have purchased some more chicks and have those in two brooders. I also did a hatch just over 1 month ago and have those chicks in their own brooder. These chicks that I hatched are EE , barnyard mix and Polish. None of the birds have been outside. All of a sudden last week these chicks that I hatched started to sneeze (about 1 month old ), that day I heard two a little wheezy . The wheezing lasted a day or two and went away. However the sneezing is continuing and now I am noticing some projectile like watery poops. None of the other brooders have had any symptoms. They have been removed from the area, everything has been cleaned and sanitized. The chicks in question are in a wooden brooder with tall sides made from hardware cloth as well as the top. I clean their shavings out regularly. They are eating medicated chick starter and drinking fresh water daily with vitamins and electrolytes. I’m confused as to what would cause this and worry that if they are now carriers of something they could contaminate the rest of my flock if I keep them. I am open to any thoughts or advice. Note: I did switch to a new brand of shavings and switched back after the sneezing started wondering if that could have been bothering them .. I do feel like the sneezing is less but it hasn’t gone away .

Since nobody has answered you yet, I'll have a go at some suggestions. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will chime in too.
I would treat them all for coccidiosis, I know you're feeding a medicated feed but that isn't always a guarantee. Whenever I have a chick around that age that starts to look peaky, I treat for coccidiosis immediately.

The other thing could be the temperature in the brooder. I assume you're in the northern hemisphere and the weather is getting warmer, could your chicks be getting a bit too warm? Now, this is second hand advice as I don't raise chicks in brooders, but I have heard many times that chicks being too warm can cause pooping issues and general thriving issues.

Since nobody has answered you yet, I'll have a go at some suggestions. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will chime in too.
I would treat them all for coccidiosis, I know you're feeding a medicated feed but that isn't always a guarantee. Whenever I have a chick around that age that starts to look peaky, I treat for coccidiosis immediately.

The other thing could be the temperature in the brooder. I assume you're in the northern hemisphere and the weather is getting warmer, could your chicks be getting a bit too warm? Now, this is second hand advice as I don't raise chicks in brooders, but I have heard many times that chicks being too warm can cause pooping issues and general thriving issues.
Thank you for the reply ! I think you might be right ! I think they may have a mild form of cocci. I will switch them to a grower feed and treat them with Corrid and see if that helps !

Back
Top Bottom