Brooder/Coop Poop, Feed and Water Holders Questions

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
I have 40 chicks and right now I'm feeding them around the clock (they are not yet 2 weeks) and I am refilling their water 2X a day (I have two one quart canning style water things) and I have one long red feed thing that I empty and refill and put the old stuff on top 2 X a day, but they will pretty much eat 1.5 times the feeder in one day. What do you all use with your larger groups of cornish (25+) to feed and water, and do you have any pictures? I'd like to do the food and water once per day instead of twice.

At what age is it safe to put in the one gallon watering thing without worrying about them drowning if I don't have marbles? I hate having marbles in my house, so I just bought smaller water holders till they got big enough for the big one...

Also, I have been changing the bedding completely every couple of days and put new shavings down to cover the poop everyday...but they all still have poop on their feet and under chest. Anything I should be doing differently? Should I be swapping it all out everyday? It doesn't seem to matter because they poop all over it right away anyway!

Thanks

Last edited:
You need to get bigger and more equipment.

I like hanging waterers myself.

I use a long, low tray for food.

Once your 40 birds get big, even a big feeder wont be enough.
They all need to be able to park themselves in front of food, same with water.

There are many ways to do it, but you definately need to think about upgrading and adding.

Quote:
I know...that's why I posted...I was hoping for some recommendations of stuff people use when the birds are bigger. I have no problem getting bigger or more equipment. I just wanted some feed back on what works for others. I'd love to make a few feed and water holders myself from 5 gallon buckets, but I have no idea how!

When I did 30 I took a piece of plastic rain gutter and screwed some ends on it and screwed it to a 2x4. I had to fill it up twice a day. It was 8 feet long. For water I had 2- 2 gallon galvanized founts. I had to fill those once a day. Good luck.

Quote:
I know...that's why I posted...I was hoping for some recommendations of stuff people use when the birds are bigger. I have no problem getting bigger or more equipment. I just wanted some feed back on what works for others. I'd love to make a few feed and water holders myself from 5 gallon buckets, but I have no idea how!

Search the pages here for ideas or you could always got to a video site and search for DIY waterer/feeder for chickens but I would search the pages here first. I know you can find what you are looking for right here.

Good luck to you

rain gutter works, 3 ft trough feeders, and the best I've found is a plan for a 5 gallon bucket feeder, somewhere on this site. As for water, I'm trying out an automatic waterer this year because I'm sick of hauling heavy waterers around my yard twice a day.

Quote:
Go to your local farm store and get a 5 gallon water and a 25 lb hanging feeder. You will spend about $40.00 but they are worth it and you can use them over and over again. For the water, I use 1 gallon size waters the first few days until they get the hang of the water. Then I switch to the 5 gallons at about 4 days old. So if I was you, I would go with the bigger water. Be careful not to let them run out as if they do they will pile on each other to get water and a lot will get wet.

As for bedding... try to give them more space if you can. The bedding shouldn't be getting that messy in one day but when they get older they will make a huge mess. Do you plan on raising these indoors or are you wanting to put them outside?

Back
Top Bottom