Brooder flooring ideas

May 6, 2020
I need some help. I’m new to raising chickens and have been getting advice from local backyard chicken breeders. I have several different breeds of chickens still in their brooders. The flooring I was told to use from the local feed store was the pine shaving bed. I bought a few chicks from someone local they recommended chicken food for the flooring. (Helps with the natural scratch and eat). I worry that may not be the greatest idea as my chicks seem to be getting sick and some even dying. So my actual question is what is the best flooring for a brooder? I have tried switching back to shavings but now the chicks eat it and I know that’s not good. Please help

Gonna have to pin down why they are getting sick. Sounds like it's not a dirty brooder. They might be pecking at pine shavings but I doubt they are eating it. Are you sure it's 100% pine and not mixed?

Positive all pine. But I’m using food as the flooring. When I tried to put the shavings back in they really ate it. I watched them eat it like it was a dried meal worm. I do put grit in their brooder since I give small amounts of treats. So that’s why I switched back to the food as flooring and I’m worried that’s what’s making them sick. So I’m wondering if I could use like a chick grit/sand combo for the floor. That way if they do eat the flooring it won’t be as bad as the shavings.

So I’m wondering if I could use like a chick grit/sand combo for the floor. That way if they do eat the flooring it won’t be as bad as the shavings.

Grit/sand can still clog them up if they insist on overeating it.

I don't sweat my chicks eating their flooring. They were eating wood shavings and dirt before they wanted to try food. My brooder sits on the run floor, I toss in a bit of wood shavings for softness but otherwise it's whatever materials happens to be there.

I personally would not use food as a flooring, if it gets wet and then they eat it, mold growth could kill them.

Back
Top Bottom