Brooder, Good deal or bad? What do you think?

Ok, any body have an idea what brand this might be? The sticker was removed.

The other one is a Brower I'm going to see if they can send me any literature on it.

As far as brooding in it. Not really my first choice either. I don't like putting chickens on wire. I think that's awful. I'm thinking, if I can use this for the first few weeks, then move them out to the coop, then maybe it won't be that bad. Maybe I'll cover half of it in shelf liner so they can get off the wire if they want.

I brood chicks for people and then sell them at 7 weeks. That way I can have a new batch going out every 3-4 weeks rather than waiting a whole 7.

I just want you all to know that I'm doing my part to corrupt my part of the country with the chicken addition
wee.gif

actually, i think you can only have the chicks in there for about 4 weeks at the most. i may be wrong, but the chicks grow fast.

i'm suppose to go see one that's for sale from a guy i sold turkeys to. i hope i get as good a deal as you did.

michele

I've seen them in my McMurray catalog. Look at their website
www.mcmurrayhatchery.com. They always seem to be a bit on the more pricey side, though.

Sounds like a good deal to me if you are going to hatch lots of babies. We only had 16 day old chicks, so we used a rubber mate container, then bumped up to a big box, then we bumped up to 2 big boxes connected. What a process!

Well, here's the plan. I have a brooder coop that will handle 50 chicks to 7 or 8 weeks of age. Then I sell all of those and bring in another bunch of 50. So what I'm thinking is I'll bring in 50 brood them in the brooder coop, then 3 or 4 weeks later, bring in another 50. At 7 weeks, when the older ones sell, I move the bunch in the brooder out to the coop, where they learn to use roosts etc. Then bring another batch in for the brooder of meat birds. In three weeks, I'll move them out to the tractor, and bring in another batch of layers. And just keep going like that. I don't need all these brooders for sure. I'll be selling some of them.

Back
Top Bottom