Brooder heat lamp, not warm enough?

blzzrdqueen

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Albany NY
I got my brooder set up about an hour ago and turned on the light and have a thermometer under where the light is shining down. I have a 75 watt infrared heat lamp bulb directly on top of my brooder top (made of pine and hardware cloth)...It seems I can only get it as warm as 88 degrees after the first hour...will it warm up more as its on, or is that as warm as it's going to get? Should I get a higher watt bulb (this one was $10, I hate to spend the money on another bulb)?

In this pic I have the light a little higher, but now it's resting on the hardware cloth...

lol just be patient. ;) give it a little more time to heat up properly. Is it really cold in the room it's set up in? That might be causing a delay in heating up as well. I wouldn't make anymore adjustments for a couple hours though.

Be careful with a higher wattage though. A bit low, at your reported 88F is not bad. Not bad at all. The trouble with going up very much in wattage is that it will be super easy to cook the chicks in that tub.

Go grab a regular old 90 watt bulb and 75 watt bulb from that closet where we all have bulbs. LOL. I'm guessing you can dial in the temp you're happy with. Then, in a week? 88 will be just fine the chicks.

I let it run for a few hours last night and it got up to 95 degrees...I believe that is warm enough? The bottom of the brooder was nice and warm.

Back
Top Bottom