1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Heat Lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelz, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Shelz

Shelz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    Still preparing for the arrival of my new chicks here.....(they are shipping the first of October)
    Ive been reading all I can, and learning so much about proper care for my new babies.
    My question is...whats the best heat bulb to use with chicks? My girls will be brooded in my house in an non air conditoned room. I do have a heat lamp, and I read, that I should use a 75 Watt bulb, and nothing hotter. Anybody have different suggestions? Also, would using a infra red bulb be better, so its not so bright all the time?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    The in-fared is better because bright white disrupts sleeping. Baby chicks need their sleep.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Folks have different opinions and that's fine, but having brooded out hundreds and hundreds of chicks for decades, the red light simply calms them and creates a more peaceful, restful environment. Sometimes, I have to fire up a white light, but I honestly do not like to do so. I'm very curious about these new ceramic units. I'd still keep the environment quite dim if and when I use one of those, maybe sometimes in the future.

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I agree with Fred's Hens. I read the red lamp calms them down. I use it because it's designed for chicks and I don't like experimenting LOL. But the chicks love it and I'm quite happy with it.

5. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    I too use the red ir bulbs, but i have a regular heat lamp as a backup. The ceramic emitters were designed for reptiles originally. They work excellent for them. I haven't tried them in the brooder yet but they do excellent with a thermostat so i may give them a shot in the near future.

6. Shelz

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    A Red bulb it is then...thanks so much you guys.

7. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    What kind of ceramic units are you referring to? Are these like the Sweeter Heater that I've heard of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Fred's Hens

Google is always my friend. Google Ceramic Heat Emitter. You'll see they are even available on Amazon. I cannot provide an testimony about them, yet.

9. Shelz

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    Sounds like the ceramic bulbs are more efficient and durable then incandescent and halogen too? Would you agree?

10. Fred's Hens

Since electricity produces X amount of heat, when resisted Y, it never is more or less efficient. It's pure math.

The main attraction for me, in considering ceramic, in the future, would be safety, I think. I also am concerned about the future availability of bulbs generally. The red infrared bulbs also have a reasonably short life-span. It seems logical to assume that a ceramic emitter, while a bit pricey up front, would provide many seasons of heat? Those are my thoughts. That it produces no light is also a good thing, in my universe. We shall see.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by