Brooder heat plate

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
My baby chicks are on their 2 week now, I use Producer Brooder Plate in a brooder but how can you control temperature with that ? I’m already on the highest height possible and even placed that on 2 inches of blocks. The temperature in a brooder still shows 96 degrees … and every week I suppose to lower the temperature by 5 degrees ? How can I do it with the plate ? Anyone have one ? Used one ?

Attachments

• 53A58B8D-76BA-4DA0-B98C-2060DE0C6D7B.jpeg
    53A58B8D-76BA-4DA0-B98C-2060DE0C6D7B.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 54
Raising it is the way to wean them off heat but it's either not functioning correctly (overheating) or your brooder is located somewhere warm (or poorly ventilated/trapping heat), so the ambient temperature inside the brooder is high too.

My baby chicks are on their 2 week now, I use Producer Brooder Plate in a brooder but how can you control temperature with that ? I’m already on the highest height possible and even placed that on 2 inches of blocks. The temperature in a brooder still shows 96 degrees … and every week I suppose to lower the temperature by 5 degrees ? How can I do it with the plate ? Anyone have one ? Used one ?
I have one/use one and ran into the same problem,...highest level, then what?

What's your climate?

I use the same one and have no issues with it. Initially use the highest setting and keep it low so that they barely have any head clearance. The chicks will huddle and share body heat if they need to. With time raise the plate and lower the setting. Chicks are pretty resilient especially right now that we still have warm temps.

Raising it is the way to wean them off heat but it's either not functioning correctly (overheating) or your brooder is located somewhere warm (or poorly ventilated/trapping heat), so the ambient temperature inside the brooder is high too.
The brooder is located inside my house, I’m using an old coop to keep them in, but it have windows and openings on 3 sides, the coop is not closed. It only reads temperature under the plate , in a coop it shows low

I use the same one and have no issues with it. Initially use the highest setting and keep it low so that they barely have any head clearance. The chicks will huddle and share body heat if they need to. With time raise the plate and lower the setting. Chicks are pretty resilient especially right now that we still have warm temps.
Mine is set up on the higher level possible they can walk under and not touch the head … I feel like it might be hot for them to have it closer to them … i can’t lover the temp on the plate, it only have a brooder or heater settings … but I can’t control the temperature

The brooder is located inside my house, I’m using an old coop to keep them in, but it have windows and openings on 3 sides, the coop is not closed. It only reads temperature under the plate , in a coop it shows low
I'd just get it as high as possible to try to try and minimize the heat. With your outside temps the chicks can be fully weaned off heat next week at the latest, unless temperatures drop dramatically.

Do your chicks huddle under it, stay far away from it, or just hang out at the edges?
Many times if you measure the heat under a plate it can be high, but like the plate a mama hen doesn’t decrease temps under her feathers. If the temp on the far side of the brooder away from the plate is 95, then it isn’t the plate it’s the room temp that will be a problem. 😊

Do your chicks huddle under it, stay far away from it, or just hang out at the edges?
Many times if you measure the heat under a plate it can be high, but like the plate a mama hen doesn’t decrease temps under her feathers. If the temp on the far side of the brooder away from the plate is 95, then it isn’t the plate it’s the room temp that will be a problem. 😊
They walk under and sit under then walk out to eat and drink and scratch ..they don’t stay on the edges or staying away ..it’s 77 in my house they use it at night they sleep under.

Back
Top Bottom