Brooder heater/light what RU using ?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Well I see in the shops plenty of those heat lamps either Red/Clear to use in a brooder fixture to provide heat for newly hatch chicks. I have plenty of brooder fixtures.. and regular light bulbs, and a few 60W Ceramic heater elements... so I'm not sure I really need to buy one of those heat lamps. Asking too see what others are using to provide heat/light in their brooders ?

Cheers,
Mary

jumpy.gif

I have always just used a regular light bulb. As I have found that the heat lamps just get to hot. for about the first 2 weeks I use 100w bulb then I go down to a 75w until about 4 or 5 weeks old. But that is what i have always used ever since I was little. My dad even used regular bulbs when I was little.

I use a brooder lamp with the red light but blackvelvet is also right. We used regular lights growing up and it seemed to work just as well. I personally use the heat light now because it is easier for me to keep the right temp maintained by just raising it up or down.

Last edited:
I use a big rubbermaid tote. Its like 4 feet long and 18 inches high. I use a reptile heat emitter/with a dimmer switch and a red bulb/dimmer. I can just adjust the temp up or down as needed.

I have up to three 100 watt bulbs hanging over my brooder. When it is 15 degrees out (very rare), I might use all three bulbs.

Right now I just have 100 watts on over my broody hen and her chicks. I have two of them over my other two brooders with chicks in them in a shed coop and the chicks can get out of there onto the floor if they want to (they are a month old).

*I am very careful to take temperatures with the thermometer in order to determine how many bulbs to turn on.*

Ok regular light bulbs ... that's what I was going to use/try, so good to see others use them also with good results.

Thanks for the replies !!!

thumbsup.gif

125w frosted brooder bulb.

Mainly because I can't find any decent ordinary 100w bulbs any more. No life to them at all. Have to change them twice, three times for one batch of chicks.

The 125w bulbs will do an entire batch of chicks and sometimes all of a second one.

A.T. Hagan :

125w frosted brooder bulb.

Mainly because I can't find any decent ordinary 100w bulbs any more. No life to them at all. Have to change them twice, three times for one batch of chicks.

The 125w bulbs will do an entire batch of chicks and sometimes all of a second one.

Yes I think they are engineering those things for short life. But at least we can still buy them (not for long).​

Plan on using 60 watt regular bulbs, along with a 60 watt ceramic heating bulb, will test this out this weekend to see
how much heat I get under the bulbs.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom