Brooder Heating Conundrum

I think all of your replies are very informative and helpful!! I think I've settled on building a brooder from plywood, 3' L x 2' D x 12" T for 6 chickens. That should be plenty of space to take them up to 8 weeks old or so, at which time it will be warm outside and I can move them to their coop. I may block off half the length at first until they need more space. It will have a lid with some hardware cloth for ventilation. I've decided to go with an Ecoglow 600 brooder. I'm going to put them in the garage where it doesn't get too cold. Our garage isn't heated, but our HVAC guy said it's "conditioned". I don't know what exactly that means, but it's always warmer in the winter than outside, but not as warm as the inside. I'm going to monitor the temps in the garage the next few days to see how the temps fluctuate. The brooder will be near a window so the chicks will get daytime light. Do I need a small light for them at night? I welcome your feedback. I really appreciate all the input I received!!
But, ditto what Huntmaster says--that's only 1 sq ft per chick, I think that's good for 2-4 weeks.

They'll need a heat source until they're fully feathered, including (especially) their necks and heads, which lose a lot of heat. Then they need to transition from garage temps to outdoor temps---even fully feathered they need a transition. Possibly using a timer on the brooder heat source, so it's gradually on for less of the time, then finally on during the coldest hours of the night, then off, then find a nice stretch of mild weather to put them outside.

For size comparison, here are my midnight majesty marans chicks at 4 weeks of age, outside at this point. The dish that one is perched on, is 8 inches very outside diameter. One is perched on a 2x6 and the barred (rock or cockerel) is on a 2x4. They spent their first 2 whole weeks of life in the store with a constant heat source, but they just have a little fuzz at this point. My concern is, this is the size of a 4-week old chick, vs the space under an ecoglow 600 brooder.

***ETA---the second picture a few days later, showing the babies on a 2x4 for better size comparison.

Attachments

• mm marans 4 wks.JPEG
    mm marans 4 wks.JPEG
    631.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0491.JPEG
    IMG_0491.JPEG
    613 KB · Views: 14
I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
Hi! We have had a lot of experience with heat lamps, as we have some reptiles. If i am being completely honest with you it would be best to use a radiant heat brooding plate for your chicks! in my opinion it is just not the risk with the lamps, not just from the fire risk, but also for the over heating risk. It also doesn't imitate a mama hen as well as a brooding plate would. Our first couple bunches of chicks we used a heat lamp and temperature checker and will definitely be useing a brooding plate from now on! Remember it is always best to have some sort of back up source of heat if one brakes and to ketch it quick to keep all your chicks warm and safe! I hope this helped. Wishing you luck on the start of your chicken journey!

About how long would they need supplemental heat?
I'm not sure what temperatures you will see when you try that but I've had 5-1/2 week old chicks go through temperatures in the mid 20' Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. They were raised outside so they were acclimated to colder temperatures. The coop they were in had great ventilation up high and great wind protection down low where they were.

Someone else on here said they have done that at 4 weeks but I haven't myself. Most chicks feather out well enough to handle pretty cold temperatures by 4 to 5 weeks. Mine were out there without heat by five weeks, it just didn't get that cold for a few more days.

I don't think they need acclimation after five weeks to survive, depending on how cold it gets. Acclimation might make them more comfortable.

Size is always a question. I don't believe in those square feet per bird numbers. There are too many variables for those to mean much. The more birds you have the less square feet per bird they need. I explain that in the link below in my signature. A tiny D'Uccle needs less room than a Jersey Giant. Even the sex of the birds can make a difference, males tend to need more room than the girls of the same breed because of growth rate. As others have mentioned the age you take them out is important, they grow fast. Part of it is that you need enough room to work.

That heat plate is 8" x 12" and 9" high. That should fit in your 2x3x1 brooder, I was concerned about height. How do you plan on feeding and watering them? How much room will those take up? Some people will say you have to subtract that space from their square feet per bird numbers. I say depending in what they look like they could add clutter, which improves the quality of the space you have. Too many variables for hard firm square feet numbers.

Would that 2x3 brooder work for 6 chicks until they are 6 weeks old? Probably. I'd be willing to try it. If I could I'd make it bigger, probably 2x4. One thing having extra room gives you is flexibility. If something doesn't work out exactly as plan you have enough room to make adjustments.

I think I've settled on building a brooder from plywood, 3' L x 2' D x 12" T for 6 chickens. That should be plenty of space to take them up to 8 weeks old or so, at which time it will be warm outside and I can move them to their coop.

The guidelines for chicks' space needs are less well-defined than the guidelines for adults' space needs, but I think that you'll find that brooder getting tight in a hurry.

What I've seen suggested most often is 1/2 square foot per chick for the first week or two, 1 square foot per chick for the next couple weeks, 2 square feet per chick up to 6-8 weeks, and then the same 4 square feet per bird as the adults.

And definitely consider the room that the feeder and water take up. They'll outgrow the tiny ones sooner than you think.

Someone else on here said they have done that at 4 weeks but I haven't myself.

I haven't had them that cold at 4 weeks, but I've had them down to about 40-45F at 4 weeks.

Of course I brood outside so they acclimate naturally.

With ours, we used a heating pad set up (basically a DIY heat plate). They were in an unheated attached room, so similar to your garage I expect. Insulated but not heated.

I would say that for the first 2ish weeks, they went underneath the heating pad a good bit. After that, even though I raised it to accommodate their height, they seemed to start preferring to cuddle on top of it.

One thing nice about where I'm at, is that I'm starting from a blank canvas and I can take your suggestions and improve upon my plans. I found this on the internet. I think it will address the brooder space that some of you have pointed out. This will give me almost 16 sq ft. If I put this in the garage, it will be on concrete. Will this be a concern, or should I have some plywood down first? I like this plan because you can take it apart and store easily and not take up too much space in storage.

Attachments

• DIY Brooder.pdf
    946.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom