Brooder Heating Conundrum

Pics

bradley10466

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
Southwestern Indiana
I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!

Might want to look into mama heating pads as well. They work below the 50F limit a lot of heat plates have and can be very cheap to make (my first one was under $3).

I'd also suggest you consider skipping the brooder and getting the coop set up immediately (if you don't already have it) and simply brooding the chicks outside in the coop, if you can run electricity out there. If you already have adult birds, this will start the integration process for you as well, win-win.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

We started with the ceramic IR type and moved to the plate after I accidentally touched the ceramic bulb. Ouch. That thing sizzled my fingertips and used 75 watts. Our plate warmer has almost no risk of fire and works well for our small setup, and only uses 13 watts. We live in Florida, so our weather is mild, and we keep the chicks inside so our situation requires minimal heat. Others might need more heat than the plate offers but you can help that by insulation around the plate on 2 or 3 sides. Some come with a feather like skirt but we use shavings as the plate is low when the chicks are tiny and need the most heat. As they get older, it's less of a concern. Hope my burned fingertips help!
JPEG_20230128_124740_5964575527092038546.jpg

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
I use infrared heat lamps as long as they are secured correctly and not just using the clamp that they come with and knowing the bulb gets hot and precautions takin they are just as safe as anything else and can be used in most situations. Anything that uses electricity that is not used correctly, or precautions takin can cause problems. Everything has its place most brooder plates only perform well in temps 50 degrees and above, so they are limited. Ceramic bulbs are good but need same precautions as heat bulbs. So, what works for some isn't ideal for all depending on how and where you are going to brood them.

In those temperatures I would not trust the heat plate. You could make the heat lamp work but I'm not going to recommend that. I'd want to build a larger and enclosed brooder. So I'm going to suggest the heating pad cave. It should work well. I'll include a link to a thread about them.

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

That thread is very long and you need to dig through it for details. One thing is to not use an old cracked heating pad. The wires in it may be broken, could short out, and start a fire. You do not want a heating pad with an automatic shut off. Some of them shut down after two hours. There is some discussion on chicks getting caught between the pad and a lining they used. I had that same thing happen when I wrapped my run to keep baby chicks from escaping. There is some discussion on how high the cave needs to be but I don't think that is as important as with a heat plate.

If you brood indoors, I'd use a heat plate. I think they are simpler to use.

First time using a ceramic heat bulb. In the past used the infrared when we brooded 3-4 doz at a time. Translucent tub by an east facing window for the natural clock. U of Penn did an interesting study on brooder lighting that really came down to "How would you like to sleep in a lighted room lit 24 hrs a day?" There was some evidence of glaucoma, other eye problems and grouchy adult chickens. As always tongue in cheek, decide for yourself. Brooding only 6 chicks also.

I made @aart ’s version of the mama hen heating pad where it is shaped more like a heat plate and it worked amazingly well. I did have to hers the chicks under it a couple times before they caught on that it was the warm place, but then they LOVED it. You can tell you have the temps right by their chirps. Quiet little peeps and twitters are happy chicks. Car alarm type peeping is a chick who has a problem - very likely too hot or cold.

I used a 9x9 sunbeam heating pad (NO auto shutoff) on top of the wire rack from my old toaster over. I attached legs I stole from a cookie cooling rack. That was PLENTY big enough for the 3 chicks I had at the time - would likely work for 6. Don’t put it in the corner of the enclosure, since you always want them to be able to easily leave so they don’t over heat AND you don’t want one to get smothered up against the corner.

I am happy to share more details if you like?

My other main tips for first timers is that the rubbermaid tote will not last you long, but is fun for that first week since you can have them in the room with you while you watch tv or whatever. But have a bigger setup ready!

Also, I found that mixing water with the chick crumble food so it is similar to applesauce really seemed to help them stay hydrated and they didn’t spread it around the cage as much. Oh and add pebbles to their water or use nipple waterers so they don’t drown. (Baby chicks are basically LOOKING for ways to die that first week or so.)

I would suggest an old appliance box if you can find one. A kiddie pool is too short and they start jumping sooner than you think. Heating method is up to you. I have always used a heat lamp and put a dog kennel door or baby gate over the box so chicks can't jump into it and I secure it with extra caribiners to prevent accidents. I also have an integration coop I move them into as soon as possible and a little box they can crawl into if necessary to huddle. Heat lamps are controversial but they work when used properly and chicks are given enough space to escape the heat if necessary. I saw a post from a hatchery once that said the ceramic plates aren't hot enough for shipped chicks but I have never bought chicks that way so I don't have experience. Since I discovered broody hens I haven't brooded with a heat lamp and found it a lot easier. You don't have that option now but in the future its worth considering

Hi! We have had a lot of experience with heat lamps, as we have some reptiles. If i am being completely honest with you it would be best to use a radiant heat brooding plate for your chicks! in my opinion it is just not the risk with the lamps, not just from the fire risk, but also for the over heating risk. It also doesn't imitate a mama hen as well as a brooding plate would. Our first couple bunches of chicks we used a heat lamp and temperature checker and will definitely be useing a brooding plate from now on! Remember it is always best to have some sort of back up source of heat if one brakes and to ketch it quick to keep all your chicks warm and safe! I hope this helped. Wishing you luck on the start of your chicken journey!

Back
Top Bottom