Brooder Heating Conundrum

Pics

bradley10466

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
Southwestern Indiana
I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!

We started with the ceramic IR type and moved to the plate after I accidentally touched the ceramic bulb. Ouch. That thing sizzled my fingertips and used 75 watts. Our plate warmer has almost no risk of fire and works well for our small setup, and only uses 13 watts. We live in Florida, so our weather is mild, and we keep the chicks inside so our situation requires minimal heat. Others might need more heat than the plate offers but you can help that by insulation around the plate on 2 or 3 sides. Some come with a feather like skirt but we use shavings as the plate is low when the chicks are tiny and need the most heat. As they get older, it's less of a concern. Hope my burned fingertips help!
JPEG_20230128_124740_5964575527092038546.jpg

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
I use infrared heat lamps as long as they are secured correctly and not just using the clamp that they come with and knowing the bulb gets hot and precautions takin they are just as safe as anything else and can be used in most situations. Anything that uses electricity that is not used correctly, or precautions takin can cause problems. Everything has its place most brooder plates only perform well in temps 50 degrees and above, so they are limited. Ceramic bulbs are good but need same precautions as heat bulbs. So, what works for some isn't ideal for all depending on how and where you are going to brood them.

First time using a ceramic heat bulb. In the past used the infrared when we brooded 3-4 doz at a time. Translucent tub by an east facing window for the natural clock. U of Penn did an interesting study on brooder lighting that really came down to "How would you like to sleep in a lighted room lit 24 hrs a day?" There was some evidence of glaucoma, other eye problems and grouchy adult chickens. As always tongue in cheek, decide for yourself. Brooding only 6 chicks also.

Might want to look into mama heating pads as well. They work below the 50F limit a lot of heat plates have and can be very cheap to make (my first one was under $3).

I'd also suggest you consider skipping the brooder and getting the coop set up immediately (if you don't already have it) and simply brooding the chicks outside in the coop, if you can run electricity out there. If you already have adult birds, this will start the integration process for you as well, win-win.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me.
Where are you brooding them, in a climate controlled house where the temperature stays pretty constant or outside subject to the extreme temperature shifts many of us have? What are the minimum and maximum temperatures they might see. To me that is the most important question.

Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire.
I agree they are not very energy efficient. I also agree with Huntmaster, how safe they are depends a lot on how you use them. If you do not use that clamp but hold them in place with wire or chain so they cannot fall you have removed a lot of the fire risk.

One of the potential problems with heat lamps in an enclosed area is that they may heat the entire area up to a dangerously hot level. I'm not talking about fire, I'm talking about cooking your chicks. Chickens don't handle excess heat very well. To me the ideal brooder has one spot warm enough in the coolest conditions and also has a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you are in a climate controlled area that's n0t hard to achieve. If you are outside where 50 degree Fahrenheit temperature swings overnight happen it becomes more challenging.

The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough.
I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me.
Some people that don't use the tool properly still blame the tool when it doesn't work well. That's why I like your comment about the best heating solution for you. What is best for you depends on your conditions. Heat plates do not work well if they are used in too cool of an area. The top needs to be set at the right height for the size of the chick. If they are set up where a wind can blow through them they don't do very well. You need one big enough for your number of chicks. If they are set up correctly and used properly they can work great. I also consider the heating pad cave a great solution when it is used properly but they come with their own limits and requirements.

Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution.
I've never used a ceramic heater bulb but from reading about them I don't see any significant difference from a heat lamp.

How big is that tote or swimming pool? My concern with the heat lamp or ceramic heater bulb is that they may get too hot. For the heat plate or heating pad will you have room for the feeder, waterer, and the chicks to move around?

I'd need more info before I'd be willing to make specific suggestions or recommendations for your specific situation.

Where are you brooding them, in a climate controlled house where the temperature stays pretty constant or outside subject to the extreme temperature shifts many of us have? What are the minimum and maximum temperatures they might see. To me that is the most important question.

I agree they are not very energy efficient. I also agree with Huntmaster, how safe they are depends a lot on how you use them. If you do not use that clamp but hold them in place with wire or chain so they cannot fall you have removed a lot of the fire risk.

One of the potential problems with heat lamps in an enclosed area is that they may heat the entire area up to a dangerously hot level. I'm not talking about fire, I'm talking about cooking your chicks. Chickens don't handle excess heat very well. To me the ideal brooder has one spot warm enough in the coolest conditions and also has a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you are in a climate controlled area that's n0t hard to achieve. If you are outside where 50 degree Fahrenheit temperature swings overnight happen it becomes more challenging.

Some people that don't use the tool properly still blame the tool when it doesn't work well. That's why I like your comment about the best heating solution for you. What is best for you depends on your conditions. Heat plates do not work well if they are used in too cool of an area. The top needs to be set at the right height for the size of the chick. If they are set up where a wind can blow through them they don't do very well. You need one big enough for your number of chicks. If they are set up correctly and used properly they can work great. I also consider the heating pad cave a great solution when it is used properly but they come with their own limits and requirements.

I've never used a ceramic heater bulb but from reading about them I don't see any significant difference from a heat lamp.

How big is that tote or swimming pool? My concern with the heat lamp or ceramic heater bulb is that they may get too hot. For the heat plate or heating pad will you have room for the feeder, waterer, and the chicks to move around?

I'd need more info before I'd be willing to make specific suggestions or recommendations for your specific s

I'd need more info before I'd be willing to make specific suggestions or recommendations for your specific situation.
You pretty much summed up my thoughts after having done my research. I have not decided on a brooder yet because I'm still learning and trying to do the best thing for my new chicks and me. My original plan was to have a kiddie pool (about 5' in diameter) in the unheated shed. I live in S. Indiana and we have overnight temps in the teens (sometimes single digits) and daytime highs in the mid 40's (sometimes mid-30s). I was thinking of using a heat lamp, but I read a post on this site where a guy had a similar set-up, and he says it was secure, it caught his barn on fire and he lost a boat, camper, and all other belongings in his barn. I'm flexible and would be willing to move them inside (we keep our house temp at 65) for a few weeks and use one of the Ecoglow table type lamps. I don't think they would survive in the unheated shed with a table type lamp. This is where I'm at. I basically have a blank canvas, so I can go anywhere from here!!

In those temperatures I would not trust the heat plate. You could make the heat lamp work but I'm not going to recommend that. I'd want to build a larger and enclosed brooder. So I'm going to suggest the heating pad cave. It should work well. I'll include a link to a thread about them.

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

That thread is very long and you need to dig through it for details. One thing is to not use an old cracked heating pad. The wires in it may be broken, could short out, and start a fire. You do not want a heating pad with an automatic shut off. Some of them shut down after two hours. There is some discussion on chicks getting caught between the pad and a lining they used. I had that same thing happen when I wrapped my run to keep baby chicks from escaping. There is some discussion on how high the cave needs to be but I don't think that is as important as with a heat plate.

If you brood indoors, I'd use a heat plate. I think they are simpler to use.

I've used purely heat plates now for two years, they've worked fine inside an uninsulated metal shed that has reached temperatures below 20°F quite a lot over winter. Currently use 8, almost constantly and all but 2 are from differing brands. 4 are secondhand, over 4 years old, and still perform fine. I'm quite surprised about people saying they don't perform below 50°F?

Not doing anything special, I have raised the brooders off the floor and keep four solid walls around the plate up to its height (not touching). For example, two of my brooders are indoor guinea pig cages with the plastic bottoms and the heat plate never gets higher than it's base. I'd do this with a lamp too to prevent drafts so again, nothing special?

Exactly what I was going to ask.

I live in S. Indiana and we have overnight temps in the teens (sometimes single digits) and daytime highs in the mid 40's (sometimes mid-30s).

That's pretty cold for an open brooder in an outdoor shed.

Mine works here in North Carolina, though I use dual heat with a lamp and a heat plate in really cold weather (the lamp keeps the area around the plate warm enough for the plate to work and keeps the water thawed).

@Ridgerunner's advice is always excellent -- saved me a lot of trouble on my learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom