Brooder Heating Conundrum

The guidelines for chicks' space needs are less well-defined than the guidelines for adults' space needs, but I think that you'll find that brooder getting tight in a hurry.

What I've seen suggested most often is 1/2 square foot per chick for the first week or two, 1 square foot per chick for the next couple weeks, 2 square feet per chick up to 6-8 weeks, and then the same 4 square feet per bird as the adults.

And definitely consider the room that the feeder and water take up. They'll outgrow the tiny ones sooner than you think.

I haven't had them that cold at 4 weeks, but I've had them down to about 40-45F at 4 weeks.

Of course I brood outside so they acclimate naturally.
DH is using a 2' x 3.6' x 2' 50 gallon tote. We just hung water and food up off the floor, water is clean but crumbles are still covered in chips, 4 chicks all barred rock size. Don't think this will last more than 2 more weeks (yikes!!!!!) So today we are building tiny prefab chicken coop so they can spend time outdoors during the day.

If you're still open to brooding in the house, I think a 2-door wire dog crate is ideal. I used to brood in the bathtub for about a week (especially chicks arriving directly in the mail to my post office). I got a 1-door, 4 ft x 2.5 ft crate---perfect size, but I had to crawl into it to get the birds out! You can put the light on top. I hang the lamps from multiple carabeeners. I'm experimenting because a new batch of chicks is coming in a couple weeks and I'm in a new house (to me). I discovered with my room being 67 degrees, 3 carabeeners keeps one lamp about 18 inches above the bedding, and a second lamp with 2 carabeeners add up to give me a 105 degree temp for an hour. After that, turn off the lamp with the 2 carabeeners to maintain 95 degrees.

I like the carabeeners because they keep the lamp secure and allow me to adjust it in 3 inch increments, which amount to about 5 degrees..

I have 2 of the Aqua culture red heat bulb reptile incandescent lighting, 75 watt. I also have a 100 watt black bulb and a 50 watt black bulb.

Last spring I used a 75 watt (see above) 24/7 for the 4 weeks till I moved them outside (then a 250 watt bulb in their pen, much further away from the birds). and Also inside, I used the 100 watt bulb overnight to keep the temps good, since I had them in a laundry room that had bigger temperature swings than the house.

Whatever you go with, I suggest some "dry runs" to make sure you can keep a decent temperature on them, especially if you go with bulbs. I had quite a nasty surprise doing my "dry run" with a 250 watt bulb in the laundry room, I really would have cooked the baby chicks!

With ours, we used a heating pad set up (basically a DIY heat plate). They were in an unheated attached room, so similar to your garage I expect. Insulated but not heated.

I would say that for the first 2ish weeks, they went underneath the heating pad a good bit. After that, even though I raised it to accommodate their height, they seemed to start preferring to cuddle on top of it.

One thing nice about where I'm at, is that I'm starting from a blank canvas and I can take your suggestions and improve upon my plans. I found this on the internet. I think it will address the brooder space that some of you have pointed out. This will give me almost 16 sq ft. If I put this in the garage, it will be on concrete. Will this be a concern, or should I have some plywood down first? I like this plan because you can take it apart and store easily and not take up too much space in storage.

The concrete can really suck the heat out of something. Once I brooded chicks from about 1-2 weeks of age on, in the dead of winter on a plain, OSB type shed floor, with only the shavings as insulation, with plenty of heat though. I'm getting ready to brood in the house in a mobile home, and because the floor is cold, I have 3 layers of cardboard and a small rug under the brooder cage. I'm brooding hatchery/mail order birds, though, which are probably not in quite as good a shape after 40 hours in the mail, as if you took them straight from your incubator though, much less let a broody raise them.

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
I used a refrigerator box and a red heat lamp that could be moved up and down. Hubby used wire attached above a ceiling tile into a 2x4. Seemed to work well. Happy chicking! 😊

evenually at the 2 week mark, you will have to have a cover for the pool because they will hop out.
For the typical plastic wading pools that are only about a foot high, I would expect the chicks to hop out well before the 2 week mark. Maybe even just a few days, depending on the chicks (some are more athletic than others).

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge. I'm an overthinker, so the more input I get the more satisfied I am with my solution. I posted a link earlier in this thread to a website where someone made a 4'x4' brooder from plywood, with 1"x4" framed hardware cloth for the top. The brooder will go in the garage in a corner protected from drafts. This seems safe and secure, and plenty large enough for my 6 chicks to get their start until it's warm enough here to transfer them to their house outside. I like it especially since you can easily break it down for storage in a limited amount of space since the brooder just slides together without any fasteners.

I purchased a Brinsea 600 heating plate for heat. I've checked the temps in our garage, and the lowest it's been is 50 degrees, so the heat plate should work fine since it's warming up here every day. I've purchased a chick waterer and a chick feeder, as well as a larger waterer and feeder for when they graduate from chick size.
I've just finished up the brooder and a pic is attached. I've purchased a coop, and I will start assembling that soon. I hope to get my chicks in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my plea for help. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me!! I hope to be able to pay it forward as I learn the ropes!!
Nice job and your garage plan sounds like it will work well. I like the fact you are an overthinker it will help you with your new chicken adventure. The more you research and learn beforehand the more enjoyable the adventure will be for you and your chickens :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom