Brooder Heating Conundrum

Pics
cf.PNG

I get a big tall box , and a lamp with a old fashioned 60W bulb, (some of the new bulbs don't give heat.) a stick to suspend the lamp secure it well, (8" above the floor?) I line with second hand cloth place mats I get from a second hand store, (1 bag for $4) above they are on a bambo. I toss when soiled. The feeder, I use a plastic second hand silverware organizer or second hand plastic ice cube tray, or a cardboard empty egg carton. I put a pie plate under my water so it will not spill.

evenually at the 2 week mark, you will have to have a cover for the pool because they will hop out.
For the typical plastic wading pools that are only about a foot high, I would expect the chicks to hop out well before the 2 week mark. Maybe even just a few days, depending on the chicks (some are more athletic than others).

We started with the ceramic IR type and moved to the plate after I accidentally touched the ceramic bulb. Ouch. That thing sizzled my fingertips and used 75 watts. Our plate warmer has almost no risk of fire and works well for our small setup, and only uses 13 watts. We live in Florida, so our weather is mild, and we keep the chicks inside so our situation requires minimal heat. Others might need more heat than the plate offers but you can help that by insulation around the plate on 2 or 3 sides. Some come with a feather like skirt but we use shavings as the plate is low when the chicks are tiny and need the most heat. As they get older, it's less of a concern. Hope my burned fingertips help!View attachment 3388861
I use the plates as well, and I am super happy with them. I started with the red lightbulbs, but I was also afraid of the fire hazard and not being about to adjust it well. I am in Florida, and keep the brooder in the house, so the plates work perfectly for our set up.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge. I'm an overthinker, so the more input I get the more satisfied I am with my solution. I posted a link earlier in this thread to a website where someone made a 4'x4' brooder from plywood, with 1"x4" framed hardware cloth for the top. The brooder will go in the garage in a corner protected from drafts. This seems safe and secure, and plenty large enough for my 6 chicks to get their start until it's warm enough here to transfer them to their house outside. I like it especially since you can easily break it down for storage in a limited amount of space since the brooder just slides together without any fasteners.

I purchased a Brinsea 600 heating plate for heat. I've checked the temps in our garage, and the lowest it's been is 50 degrees, so the heat plate should work fine since it's warming up here every day. I've purchased a chick waterer and a chick feeder, as well as a larger waterer and feeder for when they graduate from chick size.
I've just finished up the brooder and a pic is attached. I've purchased a coop, and I will start assembling that soon. I hope to get my chicks in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my plea for help. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me!! I hope to be able to pay it forward as I learn the ropes!!

Attachments

• 20230221_105937.jpg
    20230221_105937.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 7
I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge. I'm an overthinker, so the more input I get the more satisfied I am with my solution. I posted a link earlier in this thread to a website where someone made a 4'x4' brooder from plywood, with 1"x4" framed hardware cloth for the top. The brooder will go in the garage in a corner protected from drafts. This seems safe and secure, and plenty large enough for my 6 chicks to get their start until it's warm enough here to transfer them to their house outside. I like it especially since you can easily break it down for storage in a limited amount of space since the brooder just slides together without any fasteners.

I purchased a Brinsea 600 heating plate for heat. I've checked the temps in our garage, and the lowest it's been is 50 degrees, so the heat plate should work fine since it's warming up here every day. I've purchased a chick waterer and a chick feeder, as well as a larger waterer and feeder for when they graduate from chick size.
I've just finished up the brooder and a pic is attached. I've purchased a coop, and I will start assembling that soon. I hope to get my chicks in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my plea for help. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me!! I hope to be able to pay it forward as I learn the ropes!!
Nice job and your garage plan sounds like it will work well. I like the fact you are an overthinker it will help you with your new chicken adventure. The more you research and learn beforehand the more enjoyable the adventure will be for you and your chickens :thumbsup

The guidelines for chicks' space needs are less well-defined than the guidelines for adults' space needs, but I think that you'll find that brooder getting tight in a hurry.

What I've seen suggested most often is 1/2 square foot per chick for the first week or two, 1 square foot per chick for the next couple weeks, 2 square feet per chick up to 6-8 weeks, and then the same 4 square feet per bird as the adults.

And definitely consider the room that the feeder and water take up. They'll outgrow the tiny ones sooner than you think.

I haven't had them that cold at 4 weeks, but I've had them down to about 40-45F at 4 weeks.

Of course I brood outside so they acclimate naturally.
DH is using a 2' x 3.6' x 2' 50 gallon tote. We just hung water and food up off the floor, water is clean but crumbles are still covered in chips, 4 chicks all barred rock size. Don't think this will last more than 2 more weeks (yikes!!!!!) So today we are building tiny prefab chicken coop so they can spend time outdoors during the day.

Back
Top Bottom