Brooder Idea.....opinions please

Crazy Chicken Fever

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Capac
I have a really nice 35 gallon long fish take on a stand with dbl lights on top. It's just sitting downstairs going to waste. I was thinking of cleaning it out & using it as a brooder considering it will eliminate shavings getting all over and the dust. My question is do you think it would have enough air flow? There is about a 2 inch gap along the back of the tops and I could also take off 1 top which would open up 1/2 of the tank. My thought was it looks nice and I could put it right in my living room all winter long which would keep my from running downstairs a million times a day.

If you all thinks this will work what about heat? Should I just use the fish tank lights or do you think they will get way to hot?

fishtank.jpg

I think I would take the top off completely and hang a light cover it with meshkeep the light way to one side and use a low watt bulb. Set it up with themometers on both ends and see what the temps do. But keep in mind that once you put critters in it you cant put fish back in it. The sealing stuff in the tank absorbs amonia and will kill any fish you would try to put in it. That is a nice tank you sure you want to do that?

Last edited:
Sounds like it would work fine. The really good thing is you would know instantly if it were to hot are not hot enough. I would give it a shot and see what the chicks have to say about it. Wouldn't hurt to have a plan B.

Keep us posted.

Quote:
I agree, keeping the light at one end well create a flow of air as the heat rises.
I don't agree that there will be enough ammonia in the litter to contaminate the aquariums silicone sealant, ammonia will dissipate in the air. Any ammonia released back into the water can be eliminated with any of the common aquarium chemicals such as Kordon AmQuel.

Joe

My father in law have a couple tanks that once had guinea pigs in. He used salt water and vinegar to wash them out really well and has fish in them now without problems. I going to give it a shot. I don't have any hatchers just yet, GOING TO FIRE UP THE INCUBATOR UP NEXT WEEK. I can't wait to start hatching again.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

The tank looks great for a brooder and should keep the shavings in place. That being said, don't expect much relief from the dust. It has a mind of it's own!!

I'm personally not a fan of brooding indoors nor brooding in small confined containers. That being said; for a dozen or less chicks, for the first week or two, it should work great
wink.png

We have a very large grain tub here at the farm that my Father in Law has used. I plan on using it too.

We cover the top with chicken wire, then place a light in the corner for warmth. The feeder and waterer go in the corner next to the light.

I only use aquariums for brooders and they work great. You can buy metal screens to fit on the top of your tank at most pet stores or make your own. I've done both. I put the food and water on one end and the light on the other, make sure to have two thermometers as well just to make sure your tank does have a cooler area. You have to be a bit more diligent about cleaning up wet messes because it can get humid because it is a more sealed enclosure but I don't tend to have a problem doing this… It just helps me keep on top of my cleaning! As far as using a tank for fish afterwards… I just finished breeding betta fish in a tank I used for chicks last year so I'm pretty sure it's not a major problem!
wink.png
I had great results!

Back
Top Bottom