Brooder lamp questions

mjdtexan

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Houston(ish)
Ok, I am to the point that I need to put the ole light in the brooder. The opinions vary wildly about which light to use. I live close to Houston and we are going to order our day olds today. Their availability is 10-29-2008 from Ideal. Do I need a heat lamp? If so, what wattage?, Does the color matter, is there a preference among the chicken pros?

One more thing, what are you guys putting on the brooder floors?

We are getting

5 black sex links
5 brown sex links
5 gold sex links
5 red sex links

Do any of yall have these "sex link" birds and what is yall opinions?

I wanted different leghorns but the website says that their availability is 2009

Thank Yall for the advice givin so far and Thanks in advance for the further advice.

I use the clip on lights--you can buy them at home depot, ace hardware, walmart, just to name a few...they are the silver kind...look just like the brooder lamps you buy at Tractor supply. I have used both red and regular bulbs(60 watts for white) and the red is higher but not as hot for some reason. The red tends to keep them calm, so they don;t peck at each other, but the white does just fine and is alot cheaper! However you decide to clamp your light, make sure it's good and tight and can't fall in! Good luck!
wink.png

M@M@2four :

I use the clip on lights--you can buy them at home depot, ace hardware, walmart, just to name a few...they are the silver kind...look just like the brooder lamps you buy at Tractor supply. I have used both red and regular bulbs(60 watts for white) and the red is higher but not as hot for some reason. The red tends to keep them calm, so they don;t peck at each other, but the white does just fine and is alot cheaper! However you decide to clamp your light, make sure it's good and tight and can't fall in! Good luck!
wink.png

Is it a heat lamp or just a regular light bulb only red?

I just realized the ole joke about the red light being on:rolleyes:

Hi from the DFW area! You definitely need a lamp on new babies for a little while. Read the sticky in the raising chicks or check out the learning center on this site for good solid info. My 7wk old gets a lamp near the coop at night for just a little while, since she's alone at the moment. The 3wk olds still get the lamp all night, but they're going out to the coop as soon as their feathers are in, and we'll see what the night temps are like at that point. Good luck!

Quote:
Is it a heat lamp or just a regular light bulb only red?

I just realized the ole joke about the red light being on:rolleyes:

It's a heat lamp--they have them right in the automotive section at walmart---they're silver and usually have a clip for clamping on something. As far as bulbs, I use both regular 60 watt house lightbulbs or a large red lightbulb from tractor supply or ace hardware. The watts on the red is higher, but it doesn't let off as much heat as it sounds, so they won't overheat the chicks. I clamp this on one side of a large blue rubbermaid bin and place food and water on the other side. OI line my brooder with paper towels for easy clean up and for traction. I place an old washcloth or something on the side where the heat is so they have something to nestle on. No pine chips or bedding of that sort as they might inhale it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom