Brooder location

Jaybird33

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2020
Hi Peeps
New here and to backyard chickens.
Picking up our chicks this Saturday. We live in the Northeast and just wondering where to set up the brooder. I think the garage maybe pretty chilly during the overnights.
I was told not keep them in our living area.
Looking for some advice
Thanks

We've always kept ours in our living area, since I was just a little kid. Were you told this was a health risk? It is somewhat, because of histoplasmosis and "poultry keeper's lung." But our living area is well-ventilated, and we move them outdoors fairly soon (3-4 weeks). Cleaning a dusty coop is far riskier than having chicks in your house. Plus, they get used to you and are easier to evaluate for health issues.

Eta: either way, you will be providing them with heat, right?

We've always kept ours in our living area, since I was just a little kid. Were you told this was a health risk? It is somewhat, because of histoplasmosis and "poultry keeper's lung." But our living area is well-ventilated, and we move them outdoors fairly soon (3-4 weeks). Cleaning a dusty coop is far riskier than having chicks in your house. Plus, they get used to you and are easier to evaluate for health issues.

Thanks for the response Uff Da
I hadn’t even heard about the two things you mentioned. I was told that regarding salmonella. When you say your living area is well ventilated what does that mean. Still cold up here and have hot water baseboard heat when the stove isn’t going with the fan.

I hadn’t even heard about the two things you mentioned. I was told that regarding salmonella. When you say your living area is well ventilated what does that mean. Still cold up here and have hot water baseboard heat when the stove isn’t going with the fan.
Yes have a brooder heater and a heat lamp.

Some folks dont like chicks in the house due to the dust and dander that will start to acumullate after the first week.
Have always kept my chicks in a cardboard box brooder in the kitchen for at least a week. I love watching them and this helps me identify any that may need my attenation due to pasty but or general weakness.
Not sure where the salmonella would come in unless you handle chicks and poop, then handle something like food without washing your hands?
50 years of chicks in my kitchen here with no incident.
Congrats on your new chicks!

They are in our living room, which is big and open. So lots of ventilation compared to, say, a closet or bathroom.

Re: salmonella....You get salmonella from handling chicks, not having them in your living area. :rolleyes: So you are just as likely to get it if they are outside and you pick them up. In any case, the risk of salmonella infection is practically eliminated by washing your hands after handling animals (not just chickens). Whoever told you that was sorely misinformed.

Some folks dont like chicks in the house due to the dust and dander that will start to acumullate after the first week.
Have always kept my chicks in a cardboard box brooder in the kitchen for at least a week. I love watching them and this helps me identify any that may need my attenation due to pasty but or general weakness.
Not sure where the salmonella would come in unless you handle chicks and poop, then handle something like food without washing your hands?
50 years of chicks in my kitchen here with no incident.
Congrats on your new chicks!
Thanks! 50
Thanks for the response
We have open floor plan. Living room kitchen,dining area all one room
I guess I’ll try them out in that area
Thanks for the info

They are in our living room, which is big and open. So lots of ventilation compared to, say, a closet or bathroom.

Re: salmonella....You get salmonella from handling chicks, not having them in your living area. :rolleyes: So you are just as likely to get it if they are outside and you pick them up. In any case, the risk of salmonella infection is practically eliminated by washing your hands after handling animals (not just chickens). Whoever told you that was sorely misinformed.
Ok sounds like i have a plan
Appreciate the info!
Thanks again!

I have always kept mine in a brooder box with a heat lamp outside. I raise 24 to 30 at a time so having them in the house is not an option.

I've brooded in a spare bathroom and I've brooded outside. Never again inside... the dander just a few chicks can put out over 5 or 6 weeks is amazing. The chicks were brooded in a bathtub, I was scrubbing oily filth off the tub, up the tile and the wall some 6', all the way across the floor to the sink and sink cabinet that sat facing the tub.

Back
Top Bottom