Brooder mess

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
I have had my 5 chicks for about a week now and just needing some advice on brooder cleaning/food mess. I have the wood pellets and just not sure how often I should be changing. I have changed 2x this week so far and I just think at this rate I will go through the pellets very quickly. Also food spillage: see picture. When they spill their food like this, do I just leave it, or do I need to clean it out? I’m new to all this so any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 08CBECC8-FB93-428F-8A9B-CF98DDCB1496.jpeg
    08CBECC8-FB93-428F-8A9B-CF98DDCB1496.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 35
If you don't have too many babies, I'd do it weekly. Twice weekly if needed.
If food spills, let them scratch and peck through it. It will keep them busy and help them learn to forage. Replace food that gets too moist. Keep clean water available.
What are you using for heat?

Last edited:
I have had my 5 chicks for about a week now and just needing some advice on brooder cleaning/food mess. I have the wood pellets and just not sure how often I should be changing. I have changed 2x this week so far and I just think at this rate I will go through the pellets very quickly. Also food spillage: see picture. When they spill their food like this, do I just leave it, or do I need to clean it out? I’m new to all this so any help would be appreciated!
Chicks love to scratch so they may clean up some of the spilled food, but I would check it very often to make sure it's not getting damp or moldy.

You can also put a tray underneath the feeder to catch billed out and spilled feed, just make sure the surface is not slippery, maybe line it with shelf liner.

I have placed feeders in shallow trays like the lid to a small tote or on an old cookie sheet to contain the spillage.
Good ideas! :) I used a boot tray for mine this year, wide and long enough to hold both feed and water station, I lined it with a puppy pad so any spilled water was absorbed and made for easy cleanup.

If food spills, let them scratch and peck through it. It will keep them busy and help them learn to forage. Replace food that gets too moist. Keep clean water available.

I’m not using heat because the room is so hot already. I did for a day and they were panting/open mouth breathing. It was at 92. Degrees for the first week and now about 85/88. I’m in AZ so it’s death here haha.

Chicks love to scratch so they may clean up some of the spilled food, but I would check it very often to make sure it's not getting damp or moldy.

You can also put a tray underneath the feeder to catch billed out and spilled feed, just make sure the surface is not slippery, maybe line it with shelf liner.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of a tray underneath! Thank you!

That box is tiny for 5 chickens and chickens need to scratch and move around.If I was you I would use puppy pee pads and just put paper towels over them and change the paper towels twice a day. In that small of a space it can get real poopy real quick.

That box is tiny for 5 chickens and chickens need to scratch and move around.If I was you I would use puppy pee pads and just put paper towels over them and change the paper towels twice a day. In that small of a space it can get real poopy real quick.
How big of a tub should I have? This was the biggest Rubbermaid type bin I could fine.

Attachments

• 228E0AAF-4867-4C5D-82D2-98891DC32174.jpeg
    228E0AAF-4867-4C5D-82D2-98891DC32174.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom