Brooder Overhaul - Winging It

Ok, I've about gotten this thing thrown together. I moved the tractor/brooder under the lean-to and put it up on some 6x6 post drops. I then strategically surrounded it with all my junk to scare predators away...:gig

I hung a tarp on the north side to keep rain from blowing in, replaced the busted hinges and hasps so the doors are attached and lock-able, and rebuilt the little door between the two sections. Also ran electricity to the box. Now I just need to start experimenting with my brooder lights and warming plate to see what temps I can maintain. I may need to secure 1/4" HWC on one of the doors, too. Hoping I can just box in the brooder light on top with a small air space. We'll see!

Chicks coming in 2 weeks! :celebrate
tempImage3pf1qP.png
tempImage7q6oLM.png

tempImageqgAHEk.png

tempImage9hKgLR.png

Be sure and put some Marbles in the waterer for the first week might save a few from drowning other than that it looks great.

Good idea, thanks. I don't have any marbles. Seems like limestone rocks would work? (The stuff you pave a gravel road with.)

I haven't bothered with the marbles and have not had any issues with the little waterers.

Maybe I'd do it for tiny bantam chicks, but I honestly think that a chick who can't drink out of one of these tiny waterers without killing itself was probably going to kill itself some other way because it's just too stupid to live.

Maybe that's harsh. 🤷‍♀️

IMG_20230410_122123607_HDR.jpg

Day old babies just out of the incubator with one right next to the little chick waterer.

Thanks for all the replies. I received 24 chicks from Cackle (ordered 22) and only lost one little too that was in some kind of respiratory distress. We couldn't help him, so I culled. Otherwise they're doing great so far.

RE: Marbles: I couldn't decide, so I did an experiment with 1 waterer having rocks and the other without. Nobody drowned in either, and they pooped in both. So I guess it's a draw.

Back
Top Bottom