Brooder Overhaul - Winging It

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
The good news is that I have 30 chicks coming from Cackle Hatchery in April. The bad news is that I’ve got to get my sh-stuff together in terms of the brooder and coop builds.

For the brooder, I plan to repurpose the first chicken tractor I ever built. It’s a real beast, framed out of drops from a tongue-and-groove flooring project and scrapped stair rails. It’s 3’ x 10’, and here are the pros and cons:

Pros: Big enough, heavy, secure, already built. It’s also a great grow-out pen that’s segmented into two 3’ x 5’ halves. As the chicks grow, I can just let them have the other side.

Cons: Heavy, kinda ragged out from 2 years in the field, only 2 feet deep, and I have no idea how I’ll rig the lights up.

I’m going to set it up under a 16x8 lean-to behind my shed, so it will have a degree of weather protection. I can also get electricity from the shed.

Here’s what I’m starting with. I’ll post updates as I go.
2B244004-ECB1-4357-86B4-B94B01E622A2.jpeg
965166FD-F7DA-461C-9D74-B08937B06E20.jpeg
9F6C94ED-887D-4D47-8F74-17F3156B5F40.jpeg

My first priorities are nails & screws where needed and figuring out warming lights. I’d love to rig it up Ohio style with a couple of red halogen bulbs.

Anybody have suggestions for lights?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The good news is that I have 30 chicks coming from Cackle Hatchery in April. The bad news is that I’ve got to get my sh-stuff together in terms of the brooder and coop builds.

For the brooder, I plan to repurpose the first chicken tractor I ever built. It’s a real beast, framed out of drops from a tongue-and-groove flooring project and scrapped stair rails. It’s 3’ x 10’, and here are the pros and cons:

Pros: Big enough, heavy, secure, already built. It’s also a great grow-out pen that’s segmented into two 3’ x 5’ halves. As the chicks grow, I can just let them have the other side.

Cons: Heavy, kinda ragged out from 2 years in the field, only 2 feet deep, and I have no idea how I’ll rig the lights up.

I’m going to set it up under a 16x8 lean-to behind my shed, so it will have a degree of weather protection. I can also get electricity from the shed.

Here’s what I’m starting with. I’ll post updates as I go.
View attachment 3405684View attachment 3405685View attachment 3405686

My first priorities are nails & screws where needed and figuring out warming lights. I’d love to rig it up Ohio style with a couple of red halogen bulbs.

Anybody have suggestions for lights?

Thanks!
That thing looks heavy, I hope you have a tractor to move it around. As far as lights, the red heat lamps in the porcelain fixtures should do the job.

That thing looks heavy, I hope you have a tractor to move it around. As far as lights, the red heat lamps in the porcelain fixtures should do the job.
Heavy is right. For short distances. I roll it around on short pieces of 1” PVC. Otherwise, I tip it up and slide it into the bed of my truck.

I like the porcelain fixtures idea. Thinking I’ll cut them in about 12” above the floor. Guess I need to experiment with a thermometer to make sure it’s getting the floor level warm enough. Thanks!

I like the porcelain fixtures idea
You shouldn't run a heat lamp with out them.

Guess I need to experiment with a thermometer to make sure it’s getting the floor level warm enough.
For sure. Using a rheostat can make adjusting the temps much easier.

You shouldn't run a heat lamp with out them.

For sure. Using a rheostat can make adjusting the temps much easier.
Wow. I've never heard of a rheostat and just googled it. That will be perfect to setup in my shed. I was worried about BBQing the chicks if I used a 250-watt warmer light in that box. But with the rheostat I can just dial the wattage down. Thanks!

How cold will outdoor temps be at night? You could also look into a heat plate (or DIY heating pad version) and just use the heat lamps from afar if needed to take the edge off. Some heat plates need ambient temps to be 50F or higher, others do not.

Just a thought if that makes set up easier. If you don’t need the lamps at all, I’d think it would be for sure?

How cold will outdoor temps be at night? You could also look into a heat plate (or DIY heating pad version) and just use the heat lamps from afar if needed to take the edge off. Some heat plates need ambient temps to be 50F or higher, others do not.

Just a thought if that makes set up easier. If you don’t need the lamps at all, I’d think it would be for sure?
I'm in the Deep South, so it will be warm by then. Probably 50s at night at the coldest, 60s-70s most likely. I definitely want use a heat plate, but Cackle posted a Youtube video saying not to use heat plates for the first week. I like the combination idea. Start with both, then turn the light off after the first week or two. Good ideas. Thanks!

I'm in the Deep South, so it will be warm by then. Probably 50s at night at the coldest, 60s-70s most likely. I definitely want use a heat plate, but Cackle posted a Youtube video saying not to use heat plates for the first week. I like the combination idea. Start with both, then turn the light off after the first week or two. Good ideas. Thanks!
You can use heat plates the first week, but having a light over the feed stations during the first few days is a good idea.
BUT....you'd need more than a few plates for 30 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom