brooder plans ( for many chicks of several ages)

priszilla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
easley sc
I am attempting to plan a better way to rear chicks- lotsof chicks.Like groups of 20+ new bantam chicks weekly for roughly 8 weeks or so at a time. Currently I think there are 8 groups from 2 to 24 in the totes- a total of about 65 chicks at the moment inside. Then they will be going to their "real" home- currently they are in rubbermaid/sterlite type totes with incandescant heat lights over them on wire if that makes sense. They are started on shelf liner and graduate to pine shavigs or aspen when I have tome to go to TSC to get it.I have up to 10 of these mini brooders going at a time- and they are making dust all aver the living room- and the noise and mess are making my dh nuts. So he wants to move the chick growing to the garage or basement or a building outside. Any great ideas folks? needs to be reasonable in price, temperature stable in winter and not tooooooo hot in summer ( hot summer here) and not too hard to keep sanitary or to check on the chicks frequently. I am drawing a blank - but I am very tired tonight- been a loooong long long day.Thanks for the advice

Gosh with that many I would have to agree the garage is probably the best place, since yours is a temporary home. If it was permanent that would be another story. You would have to comence to buidin....

Its an ongoing project. I am concerned the temps will fluctuate .Also where they are now I can check on them if anyone peeps in distress

I raise most of my chicks in my basement or garage

so I taking it by reading ur post you are only raiseing these chicks for 8 weeks then they go,

if so I would build large 1/2" plywood pens 8 ft . long by 2ft. high by 4 ft width and place screen for the top , plenty of room , easy to clean cuz only 2 ft high , use pine shaving

chickens can with stand cold temps but not drafts basements or garage they'll be fine .......mine do just fine until they reach 3-4 weeks then they go into the coop outside

I have raised mine in my garage/barn. I use a 1"x1/2" wire so that no rats or snakes can get to them. I haven't lost a chick yet except one that was delivered sick.

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what I use, same dimensions and all.

Since you need to raise several groups, you might consider smaller pens, like 4x4x2 instead of 8x4x2. Half-inch plywood isn't all that heavy, either.

In garage?

IMG_0787.jpg

love that picture...DH wants it to be in the basement.I can't watch them as close down there,but maybe I'll tone up some going up and down the stairs
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom