Brooder plate brands/alternatives

My chicks that hatched first weekend in March have a mama heating pad cave that’s going great, I’m really loving it. They’ve been with it about a week now? My washroom is unheated and I wouldn’t call it chilly right now. I’ll check my temp gauge for the nightly lows tomorrow though. It’s been around 61° during the day. It took some time for me to get them using it properly. The first night everyone was stretched out on top with their little giraffe neck poses 🥺 It was super cute! But after I made them go under a few times, they use it correctly now and I love the better schedule on it. I might actually buy at least one more, maybe two, but I’d wait the first week so I can see everyone better. Just paranoid lol
I have a friend that decided to use this method, it seems to work really well! We bought some Amazon heating pads that didn't have auto-shut off. The temp is very adjustable and seems to keep them warm. The problem is, that when they get big they stop going underneath, and just hang out on top of it. She's using a welded wire rectangle bent into a semi-circle for them. Bending it more so its the right hight. When they jump on it though, they bend it in making it shorter. We need to find a better system, but the pad definitely works well! Such a cool idea!

The problem is, that when they get big they stop going underneath, and just hang out on top of it. She's using a welded wire rectangle bent into a semi-circle for them. Bending it more so its the right hight. When they jump on it though, they bend it in making it shorter. We need to find a better system, but the pad definitely works well! Such a cool idea!
Need a stronger frame. I attach my heating pad to welded wire, and that gets attached to a wire dish shelf/riser (the white thing with 4 legs):
mama3.JPG

That's clever!

I actually used a paint pan grate this time around. Super sturdy.
And cheap! I had a bunch of these wire dish shelves that I wasn't using, and the welded wire was literally cut from my old prefab coop, and the heating pad was an old but working pad that was on the way out the door anyhow. The only thing I paid for was a roll of Glad Press and Seal to attach the pad to the wire. Cardboard ziptied on top made for easy clean up once brooding was done.

And cheap! I had a bunch of these wire dish shelves that I wasn't using, and the welded wire was literally cut from my old prefab coop, and the heating pad was an old but working pad that was on the way out the door anyhow. The only thing I paid for was a roll of Glad Press and Seal to attach the pad to the wire. Cardboard ziptied on top made for easy clean up once brooding was done.
Niiiiiiice!

That's exactly why I used the paint pan grate; it was already in the garage. And I have the press and seal, too. That stuff's so good for the MHP.

I have had so much success with it that I doubt I'll ever try anything else (except an actual hen, of course). I prefer a natural light cycle over 24/7 light, personally. And it's so stinkin' cute when they sit at the cave's entrance and poke their little heads out!

I have a friend that decided to use this method, it seems to work really well! We bought some Amazon heating pads that didn't have auto-shut off. The temp is very adjustable and seems to keep them warm. The problem is, that when they get big they stop going underneath, and just hang out on top of it. She's using a welded wire rectangle bent into a semi-circle for them. Bending it more so its the right hight. When they jump on it though, they bend it in making it shorter. We need to find a better system, but the pad definitely works well! Such a cool idea!
I use a cooling rack. Just a cheap one. it just makes it a flat rectangle but worked great!!

I use a cooling rack. Just a cheap one. it just makes it a flat rectangle but worked great!!
Niiiiiiice!

That's exactly why I used the paint pan grate; it was already in the garage. And I have the press and seal, too. That stuff's so good for the MHP.

I have had so much success with it that I doubt I'll ever try anything else (except an actual hen, of course). I prefer a natural light cycle over 24/7 light, personally. And it's so stinkin' cute when they sit at the cave's entrance and poke their little heads out!
These are awesome ideas! Thanks guys!
The frame is definitely the most important part, these ideas are perfect. Probably already have most of it on hand.

Back
Top Bottom