Brooder Pneumonia - What can I do?

fmh

Chirping
Apr 3, 2018
Thanks to some bad feed someone gave us that must have been sitting somewhere for a long time, I have about 20 young chicks with what I believe to be brooder pneumonia (I'd say 95% sure - I've done lots of looking around and the respiratory symptoms, the way it started when we changed the feed, that it has hit both brooders at the same time, and that my own mould allergies are acting up make me pretty sure this is what it is. No neurological symptoms yet though). There was no visible mould on the feed but I did think it smelled off but just wrongly assumed that it was because it was a different brand. I've got 12 broiler chickens (about a week old now, but it started at 3 days) and the rest are Jersey Giants and Jersey Giant crosses with other birds (between 3 days and 1.5 weeks old). The broiler chickens are the hardest hit, likely because of how much they eat. The vet isn't an option for me because there is no chicken vet in the area.

I realize there's no direct treatment and I'm probably going to lose some chicks, but I'm having a hard time finding out anything I can do to help! Everything I find when I google is just prevention...and it's too late for that now. Here's what I have done:
  • Thrown away the food and sanitized the two brooders I'm using, the food and water dishes, and changed the bedding. Changing the bedding daily.
  • Gave the chicks electrolytes in their water
  • Put garlic in the feed (I saw somewhere here that it maybe worked for someone, so I'm willing to try just about anything!)
Can you feed them yogurt?

Any other suggestions?

I don't want to lose any, especially my beautiful Jersey Giant chicks and the most adorable Jersey Giant/Silkie cross! :( So far, with the exception of maybe one broiler chicken, they're still eating and drinking and are still breathing relatively well.

Also never ever trusting food that I don't buy straight from the store again.

Well, what was the mill date on the feed?
I have never heard of brooder pneumonia. Perhaps it is a fungal infection from wet feed.
Your actions may help and won't hurt.
Can you be more specific about symptoms?

Yeah it is pretty much definitely from mould. I’ve also had a reaction and I think my cat has it too. Common denominator is the feed (my cat sticks her nose in everything). For the chicks, It’s mostly just sneezing and wheezing now and increased thirst.

Update: everyone is doing better. Some still sneezing a bit but everyone is still eating and drinking. Here is a photo of the half silkie half jersey giant
CFC5C5C6-F491-4698-A8FB-4D783DD9BADD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom