Brooder question

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
I have a booder built with plywood without a top yet im wanting to get some chicks pretty soon they gonna be about 2 weeks old and the brooder is gonna be outside and its been kinda cold here in Ga getting into the lower 30s, if I put a top on it and a ight on the inside will they be ok outside in the brooder?

I never brood chicks in the house. I start in Feb. I use an enclosed, un-heated, un-insulated bard. I have a top of expanded metal to keep the little buggers in the trough, but it doesn't keep heat in. I use a big red bulb (250?) in a metal shield just at the level of the trough top. My chicks do fine.

Not sure what your set up looks like, what you mean by outside? they need to be protected from wind and rain and predators. Plus, consider what you're going to do with them once they outgrow the brooder. Do you have a coop with older birds? They're usually not able to protect themselves at that young age, a grow-out pen of some type is advised.

with a top and a heat lamp they will be fine. mine are out in the pole barn and i do belive its colder in there than outside but it keeps the wind knocked off them. thats the importante part. i an in IN. and temps are 20. you might be looking at a vent for the top when you make it. just something that will slide open and shut

you can, i was thinking if its too hot open it if too cold you close. just gives you a little better control in the temps. of course a tarp comes in handy too!!

they do sell brooder lamps at farm supply stores for about 7 dollars and the light bulb is 2, the reason people use these is because they have a porcelain base that the 150/250 watt light bulbs can handle safely. and they come with a guard over the bulb to help protect against fire and accidental burning the chick that may bump it.they do hang

Back
Top Bottom