1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michaelf1478, Nov 27, 2013.

1. michaelf1478

michaelf1478 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2013
    I have a booder built with plywood without a top yet im wanting to get some chicks pretty soon they gonna be about 2 weeks old and the brooder is gonna be outside and its been kinda cold here in Ga getting into the lower 30s, if I put a top on it and a ight on the inside will they be ok outside in the brooder?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I never brood chicks in the house. I start in Feb. I use an enclosed, un-heated, un-insulated bard. I have a top of expanded metal to keep the little buggers in the trough, but it doesn't keep heat in. I use a big red bulb (250?) in a metal shield just at the level of the trough top. My chicks do fine.

Not sure what your set up looks like, what you mean by outside? they need to be protected from wind and rain and predators. Plus, consider what you're going to do with them once they outgrow the brooder. Do you have a coop with older birds? They're usually not able to protect themselves at that young age, a grow-out pen of some type is advised.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    with a top and a heat lamp they will be fine. mine are out in the pole barn and i do belive its colder in there than outside but it keeps the wind knocked off them. thats the importante part. i an in IN. and temps are 20. you might be looking at a vent for the top when you make it. just something that will slide open and shut

4. michaelf1478

Nov 26, 2013
    Can I just drill some holes in a piece of plywood and use it for a top

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you can, i was thinking if its too hot open it if too cold you close. just gives you a little better control in the temps. of course a tarp comes in handy too!!

6. michaelf1478

Nov 26, 2013
    Can the heat lamp just be a hang on light bulb set up or do I need something else?

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they do sell brooder lamps at farm supply stores for about 7 dollars and the light bulb is 2, the reason people use these is because they have a porcelain base that the 150/250 watt light bulbs can handle safely. and they come with a guard over the bulb to help protect against fire and accidental burning the chick that may bump it.they do hang

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Look into a brinsea ecoglow. they're a little spendy IMO but well worth it in terms of fire risk, especially in a wooden brooder outside.

9. michaelf1478

Nov 26, 2013
    That ecoglo seem nice but is kinda pricey. I think im gonna check and see what what kinda of brooder lamp I can find at tractor supply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by