Brooder questions

Cupcakus

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
I am about to receive 15 chicks from a local supplier, they are all supposed to sexed and between 1 to 3 weeks old. They are arriving slightly sooner than I was expecting, as I'm still waiting on parts to construct the permanent coop. It could still be 3 to 4 weeks before the coop is ready for them.

I built a cheapo brooder in my garage for them, as I don't plan to raise chicks regularly a more permanent brooder seemed like a waste. The problem is, the walls on the brooder are only 11 inches high, 9 inches if you subtract the two inches of pine shavings I have on the floor (Is that too much? seems very deep for little chicks)

They will be unmonitored during the day when the wife and I are off working, and I have great concerns that they could be up to 7 weeks old in there before the coop is ready, and my little 11 inch walls are not going to contain them and I'll be chasing little chickens all over the garage, or worse they will get out in the morning and have no access to food or water the entire day unless they can get back in.

Are my concerns valid? What would you experts suggest?

DCVHrbFUQAANHVv.jpg:large

Very valid concern as they will be up and out by 2 weeks of age, many even sooner. Simple solution is a cover over the top as basic as a piece of poultry netting

Did you mean aged 1-3 days or weeks? The latter will be out on day 1

Weeks!

I have some plastic mesh I use to keep the dogs from jumping through the fences, it will keep them from jumping out if I clamp it to the top, but is roughly 12 inches of floor to ceiling space enough for 15 chicks up to 7 or 8 weeks old?

The heat lamp will also melt the plastic mesh and make wire mesh really hot, so I will have to figure that out. It's getting so warm here both at night and during the day that I'm not sure I'll even need the heat lamp for very long.

Back
Top Bottom