Brooder set up....... and space requirements

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone, I started with an order of 15-20 chicks from McMurray hatchery, that were scheduled to ship June 7th. I now have 3 different orders, 1. 16 standard chicks from McMurray shipping June 1st-2nd, 2. 16 standard chicks from McMurray shipped June 7th, and 3. 10 bantam chicks from ideal that I’m picking up on June 9th. I’m just now realizing how many chicks I have on order, and I have an idea for a brooder but need some help! So I have this dollhouse, it’s 3 stories and probably about 2 1/2x 4x 6ft (LxWxH). Each storie is probably about 2 feet tall. I want to use it as a brooder and want to know about how many chicks can fit in each section. The bantams will be in their own section, then the standards will probably be split into 2 sections. Thanks for any input and help, it’s greatly appreciated!

-ChickenWhisperer101

(ignore the mess, this was before I cleaned it out :) )

The standards will need more room probably by 3-4 weeks. After about 2 weeks they become more active, so increasing brooder space will help prevent picking from boredom.

Chicks also need good air exchange in a broader. I'm not sure if that will happen if most of the sides are solid. Sounds like an interesting idea though. We've put together temporary brooders with plywood, and other various scraps. Where are you brooding? Shed? House?

Most likely I'll be brooding in our garage/shop area, and most of the day the shop doors are open and it gets good air flow. the front of the brooder will have hardware cloth covered doors, so air flow is possible and the windows on the sides will be covered in hardware cloth as well. They will be in the brooder until they get too big, my goal is 5-6 weeks but not sure the standards will make it that far in that brooder, but I'm pretty sure the bantams will make it that far though. Thanks for the input! If all fails, I'll move the standards to their coop with a heat lamp if they get to big and i can't figure anything out. :)

You might want to try to combine the standard breeds when younger. Usually when under 2 weeks they don't mind extra ones, but after that they usually will start getting the pecking order figured out and it's harder to add more to the group.

Sounds like a fun flock. Be sure to share pictures if you convert a dollhouse into a brooder. I'm sure others would love to see that as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom