Brooder setup opinions

My current brooder only has a fist sized ventilation hole and my chicks have done fine for the past 4 weeks trying this new one over an open top one. I exchange the air at least once a day when changing food and water so as long as the 65 holes = a fist sized hole in area then you should be good. If humidity does stay over 60% long term then it will need more holes - if not then it will not need more holes.

I can understand people saying drill more holes, the more ventilation the better sure but not when a cat is about or if those people are paying the electric bill (although in this case heat is coming from the outside and to me a heat controlled heat lamp would be far cheaper, what did you read about heat lamps that are so bad? They are brilliant, they just have some negatives that if addressed are good.
Like they need to be thermoregulated or they can overheat. They dry the air so more humidity needs to be provided to compensate.
If you don't do these things then you will encounter problems and declare heat lamps are bad but I am guessing if you do address the issues then heat lamps are not bad.

A space heater to me is terrible for example. Yes it will provide heat evenly using 10 times the electricity so to me that is very bad.
Everyone has their own criteria of what is bad ;)

I had a larger brooder outside last year and made a chainlink lid for it. You could do that to, be sturdy enough for the cat to lay on, and add a mesh to keep little hands and paws out. Should also have enough weight that the toddler shouldn’t be able to remove it

My current brooder only has a fist sized ventilation hole and my chicks have done fine for the past 4 weeks trying this new one over an open top one. I exchange the air at least once a day when changing food and water so as long as the 65 holes = a fist sized hole in area then you should be good. If humidity does stay over 60% long term then it will need more holes - if not then it will not need more holes.

I can understand people saying drill more holes, the more ventilation the better sure but not when a cat is about or if those people are paying the electric bill (although in this case heat is coming from the outside and to me a heat controlled heat lamp would be far cheaper, what did you read about heat lamps that are so bad? They are brilliant, they just have some negatives that if addressed are good.
Like they need to be thermoregulated or they can overheat. They dry the air so more humidity needs to be provided to compensate.
If you don't do these things then you will encounter problems and declare heat lamps are bad but I am guessing if you do address the issues then heat lamps are not bad.

A space heater to me is terrible for example. Yes it will provide heat evenly using 10 times the electricity so to me that is very bad.
Everyone has their own criteria of what is bad ;)
The space heater was only for last night and today. I have a warmer plate coming some time today.
Besides the fire and overheating risk, they disturb the chick natural circadian rhythms. Having a light on 24/7 can prevent them from developing proper sleep patterns.
We saw it with our comets. The breeder kept a heat lamp on them and as long as there was any amount of light outside, they would sleep in their coop part of the day then want to be active all night. It's been 4 weeks of training them and we still have some day time sleeping issues.
I'm not knocking heat lamps, I would just like a more natural heat source.
I'll keep an eye on humidity as well as drill more holes.

I think you're off to a great start! I also have concerns about heat lamps, though for safety reasons. I have used one successfully for years but am trying to switch to a safer Sweeter Heater infrared heater this year. One thing I am planning to do, however, is to provide some 24/7 light at least at first so that the chicks can find their way to food/water if needed and (more importantly to me) find their way back to the silent and un-lit heater in the dark. I know that in a natural brooding setting, with a broody hen, the chicks would be in darkness during the night, but they would also be with their mother who makes noises, has a scent, can be felt, and will move if necessary to find her lost baby. A heating plate doesn't do any of those things in the same way, so I feel like a little light is important to ensure the babies don't get lost and chilled at night. I've also read some things about chicks needing light for proper growth...I don't truly understand why this would be, but even Gail Damerow advocates for at least a dim light in brooder settings and says that chicks are more attracted to light than they are heat.

I do think that your brooder might benefit from additional ventilation, but I recognize you are trying to strike a balance between ventilation and physical safety! :) I wonder if you could take a piece of 1/2-inch hardware cloth and screw it into your lid (or a new lid, if needed) Hardware cloth, properly secured, is very sturdy. If you used two smaller pieces of cloth (instead of just one larger piece), it might also allow the lid to maintain a more rigid integrity. Or you could screw braces of wood to prevent the lid from bowing.

I love your pink food and water containers! I haven't used a nipple water system so I can't unfortunately speak to how to transition them, but I'm sure others will be able to help there.

I think you're off to a great start! I also have concerns about heat lamps, though for safety reasons. I have used one successfully for years but am trying to switch to a safer Sweeter Heater infrared heater this year. One thing I am planning to do, however, is to provide some 24/7 light at least at first so that the chicks can find their way to food/water if needed and (more importantly to me) find their way back to the silent and un-lit heater in the dark. I know that in a natural brooding setting, with a broody hen, the chicks would be in darkness during the night, but they would also be with their mother who makes noises, has a scent, can be felt, and will move if necessary to find her lost baby. A heating plate doesn't do any of those things in the same way, so I feel like a little light is important to ensure the babies don't get lost and chilled at night. I've also read some things about chicks needing light for proper growth...I don't truly understand why this would be, but even Gail Damerow advocates for at least a dim light in brooder settings and says that chicks are more attracted to light than they are heat.

I do think that your brooder might benefit from additional ventilation, but I recognize you are trying to strike a balance between ventilation and physical safety! :) I wonder if you could take a piece of 1/2-inch hardware cloth and screw it into your lid (or a new lid, if needed) Hardware cloth, properly secured, is very sturdy. If you used two smaller pieces of cloth (instead of just one larger piece), it might also allow the lid to maintain a more rigid integrity. Or you could screw braces of wood to prevent the lid from bowing.

I love your pink food and water containers! I haven't used a nipple water system so I can't unfortunately speak to how to transition them, but I'm sure others will be able to help there.
I'll have to do some research about the light. My house isn't pitch black as we have salt lamps and nightlight. I could put a nightlight near the brooder for some light.

:thumbsup If you find anything helpful, please feel free to share it here, because I'm curious about the science about the light!

I don't know if you have the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (such a wonderful resource!), but in my third edition copy, Damerow discusses light on page 317.

:thumbsup If you find anything helpful, please feel free to share it here, because I'm curious about the science about the light!

I don't know if you have the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (such a wonderful resource!), but in my third edition copy, Damerow discusses light on page 317.
What year is the 3rd addtion from? A quick google search turned up an article from cackle hatchery sourcing Gail Damerow from 2017 saying that continuous light should only be used for the first 48 hours in a new brooder.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-take-care-of-baby-chickens/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-123257.png
    Screenshot_20210308-123257.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom