Brooder size...too small?

Quote:
I moved my chicks out to their coop when they were 2 and 3 weeks old. It is 40-60's in the day here and 10-20's at night. I sectioned off about 1/4 of my coop and enclosed it for warmth and to keep out the drafts. I also have 2 heat lamps running at night. All my chicks made the adjustment great. Now, if it would just warm up!!!!

Hope this helps!!

Quote:
OMG, me too! Always thought I'd live in Boone, and when hubby said "let's move north" (from FL), I thought he meant NC. Turns out he meant Maine!

BTW, cute chicks!

Quote:
We don't have electricity in our coop yet. So, we ran an extension cord from our garage. We made sure that it wasn't plugged into one of the sockets that can blow (I can't think of what they are called right now). I need the 2 heat lamps for the heat right now, but also thought it was a good idea because if 1 of them went out in the night, I would still have one going. Does that make sense? We are hoping to run electricity to our hen house this summer in preparation for next winter.

Thanks Douglass that is extremely helpful.
~chicckchix~
Yeah we lived in upstate NY (catskills) on a 100 acres, got fed up with the long winters and moved to FL. BIG MISTAKE! Florida just was'nt for us, we so missed the seasons and the simple lifestyle we had, but we were stuck down there caring for my mother in law who had alzheimers. She passed away 3 years ago, and we were finally able to leave hot humid FL YAY! Decided we didnt want the long harsh winters, and while vacationing here we fell in love, we knew this is where we wanted to be.
We still get snow in winter, but it only stays on the ground a few days, and the seasons are all lovely.
I always thought I wanted to move to NH but we are perfectly happy here.

Quote:
It sounds fabulous! We were looking at the Maggie Valley area. Now I'll have to check your place out.

On topic: you can always get another baby pool and separate them for a little while before they go out into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom