Brooder size

Cheftim30

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
Piedmont North Carolina
Hi all! Just wondering how big I should expand my brooder and when I should stop using the heat plate. My girls are 2 1/2 weeks old and the mud room is staying above 80 everyday. Please ignore the poop all over my heater, they seem to use it more as a roost lately and clean it almost everyday. And it’s crazy how fast they are feathering out! Thanks!
2AAE6C4F-CA40-40DB-A859-12C0749783D9.jpeg

I'd say 1 sq ft per bird up to 4 weeks and 2 sq ft up to 8 weeks (by then they really should've moved out). I give 2 sq ft to 2-3 day olds right off the bat, but I only brood small batches so it's not that big of a brooder.

If it's 80 degrees where the brooder is, you can take out the heat plate at this time, they won't need it (or you can leave it in there for them to sit on, but unplug it).

That’s what ive done in the past. It seems to work, just make sure you have a heat source if you need it.

Here in NC @Cheftim30 is more likely to need to make certain it's not too hot than to need heat. :D

We are expecting a bit of a dip in temps to nights below 70 over the next few days so I've got my 4, 3.5-week-olds under a 60w reptile night bulb because 2 of the 3 Langshans still look fairly naked with only fluff compared to the feathers on the other 10 chicks.

Coop is going to be 4x10 and right now in NC mid to upper 80’s and mid to upper 60’s at night.

I suspect I may be a little further south and/or east than you are. :)

It was blistering hot at the end of May and now is unseasonably cool. I don't know if it's broken 90 all week.

Last edited:
Here in NC @Cheftim30 is more likely to need to make certain it's not too hot than to need heat. :D

We are expecting a bit of a dip in temps to nights below 70 over the next few days so I've got my 43.5-week-olds under a 60w reptile night bulb because 2 of the 3 Langshans still look fairly naked with only fluff compared to the feathers on the other 10 chicks.

I suspect I may be a little further south and/or east than you are. :)

It was blistering hot at the end of May and now is unseasonably cool. I don't know if it's broken 90 all week.
Hi yep I’m up in Alamance county, yeah weather weird right now! I’ve got 16 buff orpingtons right now but thinning down to 10 when they are ready to go to our friends. I’m adding windows to the coop to get some more air flow in there for them!

Back
Top Bottom