Brooder Suggestions

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
My brooder is out of commission, i.e. we moved it out of the barn and have not cleared space in the shed for it yet. I have chicks due next weekend and some eggs were just set a couple days ago.
I am thinking of sectioning off part of my big coop where my cochins are, it would be 8 feet long and about 2 feet wide. Should I use wood for the sides and just have wire on the top? I really do not want chicks in the house again, my asthma hates me for it. I do have electricity in the coop for a heat lamp. And I do not think my cochins would bother the chicks and they do not really use that side of the coop, nest boxes are on the other side and they sleep on the other side too.

That sound fine as long as there isn't any drafts. I would put wood on the side closest to the door and then wire on the other side so they have ventilation and can stilll see the big chickens. For the top, If you think they will roost on top, I would use wood. If not, Do the half wood and half wire so one side is warm and the other side is cooler.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom