Brooder temp question (newbie)

The whole brooder will be going outside soon, in an unheated shed. I guess we should hang onto the light for that. If I had a large enough box, I would not be worried about the 250 infared at all....but I really feel they don't have room to get away from it. Stupid youtube! (Where I got the idea for this setup) On youtube someone used a tub 2/3 this size indoors, and clipped the same lamp right on it. I guess maybe if I could watch them constantly and ensure they are not overheating it could work, but I think we'll be stopping at a hardware store for a NON infared lamp for now. I had no idea an accurate air temp would not register with this type of light. How confusing!

Is a white "heat lamp" better, or would a 100 watt flood would work OK?

I am so confused. I really don't know what we should do....and we're leaving at noon. I conducted all kinds of tests in heated an unheated locations (basement, hall, and now unheated, yet decent temp kitchen addition) I want to get this right so bad! I started screwing around a month ago, and now I still feel unprepared. I wish we had a HUGE box, or tub, so we could just use the red lamp without cooking them. I guess I'll ask what the farm is using now for them. I feel it would be best to try to duplicate their current setup, as they are already a week old. If it wasn't snowing I would just use the shed now. I am definitely stopping for a regular 100 watt lamp somewhere on the way. I guess we can try both. My chickens for dummies book recommends a white light too for small indoor setups, but I read prior to that that they can cause pecking and also the eye damage. There is so much conflicting info out there!

That's the bulb I used and those are the chicks under it

And for what it's worth before this batch I had week olds in the same 45 gallon Rubbermaid under the same 250 watt red heat lamp. You'll be fine, in nature when raised by a hen and not a lamp chicks find a way to stay warm.

I your worried about the size I the brooder do what I did for my 3 week olds, go to Home Depot and buy an extra tall wardrobe box. Tape the seams together and cut off one side and for $14 you have a 48"x24"x24" brooder. My 4 chicks love it in there.

Back
Top Bottom