Brooder temp. troubles - Please hold my hand!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
This is my second flock. They are 3 days old.
Like the first flock these chicks are housed in their brooder, with a draft guard around it, on our screened porch. The screens directly in front of and to the side of the brooder have been covered to provide extra protection.
Our temps. here in SW Arkansas are running in the mid to high 90s each day. Right now our temp. is 84, but with humidity in the 70% range, it feels 91 (according to the weather channel). It's suppose to get up to 94 today, with the humidity level holding steady in the 70s.
My chicks are acting sluggish, but there's no panting or holding their little wings out going on.
DH has years of experience, but in commercial broiler house operations. He has told me to turn the light off during the day. Scared to do it, but knowing that I am right here where I could hear the chicks loud peeping if they got cold, I did it.
Now the chicks seem more comfortable, moving around more. Their thermometer reads 84.
I know what my eyes are telling me, that they're comfortable, but I'm afraid at the same time. Three day old chicks without a heat source during the day?
Hold my hand!
hmm.png

Trust your chicks. They know when it's too cold or too hot. If they are active and happy...... leave it alone. (But keep an eye on them, as I know you will
wink.png
)

Quote:
Yeah, I know all this but I'm feeling like a first time mom.
roll.png

I know I can hear them in the house if they get uncomfortable. Yesterday afternoon I laid down for a nap. Their brooder is right under our bedroom window. I was woken from a sound sleep by loud peeping. DH and I rushed out there. One of the EEs had jumped out of the brooder already! and was running around trying to get back in. Did I mention that the EEs are little demons, already causing all the trouble they can?
lol.png

They'll be fine! Really!

Remember, chicks raised by a hen don't get or need constant temps. Keep checking regularly on your chicks, and they'll let you know if and when they need a bit more warmth by their peeping and behavior

Back
Top Bottom