Brooder Temperature Question

txbioteacher

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
South Texas
I've got 26 5 day old chicks in the brooder... I'm using a huge wardrobe box that measures 4ft long by 2 ft wide. I've got a 250 watt bulb on a dimmer switch pointing into the box about 2 ft above the bottom. Right now, my thermometer is reading ~92 degrees. All but 5 of the chicks are resting at the end of the brooder furthest from the light. I just put a second thermometer in the brooder to make sure there isn't something wrong with the first one. Any suggestions?? I'm worried that if I turn the light down, they'll get too cold...
hu.gif
Any suggestions?? Should I just leave it alone? Should I try and lower the temp a few degrees??

ETA: Second glass thermometer reads 95 degrees...

Last edited:
Toss the thermometer out the window.
smile.png
first thing.

Let the chicks tell you what the temp should be. If they are directly under the light they are cold if they are on the outer edges it's to hot. Then raise it up every week until they don't need it anymore.

Steve in NC

If they flop around like ragdolls to sleep, they are very comfy. If they pile up tightly and some are trying to sleep standing up, they are too cold. If they pant- way too hot, and you might lose some if you don't fix it quick.

Thermometers never work for me either.

And welcome to the fabulous addiction of chicken-keeping! If you have questions, someone here has answers!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom