Brooder temperature?!

Beathebutton

Songster
Jan 25, 2024
Hi, my two chicks are one month old and I’m about to move them from the house to the shed… I’m getting mixed messages from the internet about what brooder temperature they should have at this age, the shed temperature is 7 to 10 degrees centigrade during the day and -1 to 3 degrees centigrade at night?! Will they need the heat lamp on all the time/ during the night? If so how powerful/ close to the chickens. Any advise appreciated

Are they feathered out? By now they should be fine to be out in the cold as long as they're protected from the wind.

Hi, my two chicks are one month old and I’m about to move them from the house to the shed… I’m getting mixed messages from the internet about what brooder temperature they should have at this age, the shed temperature is 7 to 10 degrees centigrade during the day and -1 to 3 degrees centigrade at night?! Will they need the heat lamp on all the time/ during the night? If so how powerful/ close to the chickens. Any advise appreciated
That's too cold for MY liking if my math is correct and there are only 2 for hunker down body heat.. especially over night.

Simple rule of thumb is 95 F for week one (at the heat source) and reduced by 5 F every week, usually until week 6..

If it's near 50 F during the day.. then a huddle box *may* be enough.

Back
Top Bottom