Brooder thermometer

I actually don't use a thermometer (though I recommend one... do as I say not as I do) but I imagine any would work. If using a heating pad or plate keep in mind that they do NOT heat the air, so do not expect to get an increase in air temperature from them.

Space for chicks: the general rule I've seen on here is 1/2 sq ft per chick up to around 2 weeks, 1 sq ft up to 4 weeks, 2 sq ft by 8 weeks. Personally... I think general recommendation is on the small side, so if you have more room than that that'd be great. I start at 2 sq ft per bird but I only raise small groups (3-4 chicks) so I have the room to be more generous at the start, without risk of chicks wandering too far from their heat pad.

I actually don't use a thermometer (though I recommend one... do as I say not as I do) but I imagine any would work. If using a heating pad or plate keep in mind that they do NOT heat the air, so do not expect to get an increase in air temperature from them.

Space for chicks: the general rule I've seen on here is 1/2 sq ft per chick up to around 2 weeks, 1 sq ft up to 4 weeks, 2 sq ft by 8 weeks. Personally... I think general recommendation is on the small side, so if you have more room than that that'd be great. I start at 2 sq ft per bird but I only raise small groups (3-4 chicks) so I have the room to be more generous at the start, without risk of chicks wandering too far from their heat pad.
I'm using a cozy coop heater from amazon. Very good to know the sqft because I have lots of plastic bins that fit the sizing. I can send you my brooder supplies if you want

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question but response wan't clear - when using a heat lamp can you use any basic thermometer? Is it just to check the heat periodically or does it need to be a glass thermometer that can be viewed at all times?

I know a lot of people just watch the chicks but I don't trust our untapped chick knowledge for that.

I just put my Acurite thermometer on one end of the brooder, usually on the end where the heat lamp is overhead. I don't think it is completely accurate but I just want a ballpark idea of the temperature in the brooder. Any thermometer should do but I do like the digital ones because they are easier to read at a glance.

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question but response wan't clear - when using a heat lamp can you use any basic thermometer? Is it just to check the heat periodically or does it need to be a glass thermometer that can be viewed at all times?

I know a lot of people just watch the chicks but I don't trust our untapped chick knowledge for that.
Yes you can use any basic thermometer.
Not sure I'd leave the thermometer in there, will get covered with poop, I find the infrared easy to use.
But here's some basics on heating a brooder with a lamp:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

Back
Top Bottom