BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, May 17, 2007.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Songster

Hi Speckledhen!
    Love the use of your shower! I suggested to my husband that I use the clawfoot bathtub in our house as it isn't connected to the redone bathroom yet...he looked at me like I'm crazy...the girls are in the basement! A good place as actually because of odor!

LearninMyFlock likes this.
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Thanks! We never used that bathroom much and it's right beside the exit door out of the bsmt into the backyard, too, for ease of airing out/ cleaning up/etc.

3. gardener

gardener Songster

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I dont know if this pic post will work?. It is old five foot fence boards that I removed to put up six foot fence boards. Took just a few minutes to screw them all together. The bottom is cardboard just layed on the floor. [​IMG] Or just go to the website. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=340328&user=7338

4. gardener

gardener Songster

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I guess I dont know to get photos on this site. So anyway if you go to other website you can see the gallery of My peeps two photos I just added for you guys. There are 4 RI Reds 10 Australorp and 10 Silver Laced Wyandottes all almost 2 weeks old. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?user=7338&cat=500

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, finally I've got some pictures going. Here is my brooder. We build a special coop just for brooding. It's 6x8 and the front opens for easy cleaning. the first picture shows it before the inside was insulated and finished

[​IMG]

The second is with the brooder guard and the little ones being put in the brooder.

[​IMG]

6. hipmarye

hipmarye Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    I just updated our brooder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They started flying up and roosting on the edge of the box.
    We gave them a bigger box. It's lined with hay and had a little roost for them. Hope this last for a while.

7. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Songster

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Here's brooder DH and I built when I ordered 30 chicks

It's 2' X 8' X 2'

[​IMG]

Now, DH has it for his iguana and I have the old iguana
    cage for my brooder

It's 18" X 3' X 2'
    [​IMG]

8. nccatnip

nccatnip Songster

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I can't take credit for these brooders, my friend that has wild game birds built them and found them too small as his hatches were so big. He gave 3 of them to me which enabled me to get my chicks. I think the GLW will outgrow it pretty soon but it is a great starter box.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Songster

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Very interesting brood houses from everyone. I personally used a 2X4 wooden crate with a fine mesh screen for the bottom and about 4-6" of pine shavings on top of this. I did put a 1" chicken wire top on it as my 2 cats were overly curious about the "fuzzy mice" that make bird sounds that live in this crate. LOL The 11 ladies are only about 5-7 days old but they seem to have adapted well to the new digs. I did add a roost today but they seem to think it's part of some atheletic training and spend more time jumping over it or doing the lambada than roosting on it. I truly amazed at how fast they are growing.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  10. jenichick

jenichick Songster

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Here is mine, it's in our shop, has a removable divider for smaller hatches, different breeds etc. It's about 3x5 was designed for 30 chicks, they outgrow it quickly.

[​IMG]
    By jenichick

[​IMG]
    By jenichick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: