BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Hi Speckledhen!
Love the use of your shower! I suggested to my husband that I use the clawfoot bathtub in our house as it isn't connected to the redone bathroom yet...he looked at me like I'm crazy...the girls are in the basement! A good place as actually because of odor!

I dont know if this pic post will work?. It is old five foot fence boards that I removed to put up six foot fence boards. Took just a few minutes to screw them all together. The bottom is cardboard just layed on the floor.
index.php
Or just go to the website. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=340328&user=7338

Ok, finally I've got some pictures going. Here is my brooder. We build a special coop just for brooding. It's 6x8 and the front opens for easy cleaning. the first picture shows it before the inside was insulated and finished

brooder1.jpg

The second is with the brooder guard and the little ones being put in the brooder.

brooder2.jpg

I just updated our brooder.

They started flying up and roosting on the edge of the box.
We gave them a bigger box. It's lined with hay and had a little roost for them. Hope this last for a while.

I can't take credit for these brooders, my friend that has wild game birds built them and found them too small as his hatches were so big. He gave 3 of them to me which enabled me to get my chicks. I think the GLW will outgrow it pretty soon but it is a great starter box.
2003_0101brooder0004.jpg

Very interesting brood houses from everyone. I personally used a 2X4 wooden crate with a fine mesh screen for the bottom and about 4-6" of pine shavings on top of this. I did put a 1" chicken wire top on it as my 2 cats were overly curious about the "fuzzy mice" that make bird sounds that live in this crate. LOL The 11 ladies are only about 5-7 days old but they seem to have adapted well to the new digs. I did add a roost today but they seem to think it's part of some atheletic training and spend more time jumping over it or doing the lambada than roosting on it. I truly amazed at how fast they are growing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom