BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Ok I have a question, Please please help
I have chicks coming 8/12
And i was planning on keeping then in a big ruber-maid contain inside in the kitchen. Tell they are big enough to be moved outside.
But I've been reading about caring for baby chicks and so on and 2 places i have read say to not keep them in a family living space. which I don't understand as many poeple keep our birds in door(love bird's parrots ect.) and it not for a long time just 4 week or so tell they are big enough.
I would do it outside but I'm in AZ and it about a million out and i don't see it cooling down to dramatically by the time we get the chicks and i would say the garage also but as my hubby pointed out it hotter then outside so, here i am left with where should i set up my brooder for these 8-10 baby chicks that are coming?
I plan on doing a complete clean one and day if not more, as i got a big container and a small so i can move them to to small and clean the big and then back to the big.
What do you all think?
Feel free to email me [email protected]

Thanks for any help

everyone thinks of such great ideas!!!!!!!!!!

i love them all but i want to keep my chicks with their mum. her house is 1.2m off the ground and i am scared they will fall out and die ..... i will need to make one inside her nest with walls i think.

Quote:
You can keep them inside, but they're very dusty, and I mean DUSTY! I kept mine up in a spare bedroom, and I couldn't believe how bad the dust was. If you have anyone with allergies or lung problems this could be a problem. As for keeping them outside, you'll have better control over the temperature inside, but if it's really hot there, you may be able to get away with it.

Quote:
You can keep them inside, but they're very dusty, and I mean DUSTY! I kept mine up in a spare bedroom, and I couldn't believe how bad the dust was. If you have anyone with allergies or lung problems this could be a problem. As for keeping them outside, you'll have better control over the temperature inside, but if it's really hot there, you may be able to get away with it.

It is very very hot here 110+ so i don't think outside would work, or do you all think they would be ok being nice and warm.
When i wrote that first post it was 9PM and still 100 out on our patio

This is our first chicks that arrived last Wednesday 07/22/09. They are doing fine and love to sit on my hand and lap.
My girls are so good.
Hope you enjoy. Oh. I have them in a RubberMaid 33 gal container.
big_smile.png

34721_pics_of_our_chickens_002.jpg

o my gosh little chickens are SO CUTE i want 100 !!!!!!!!

wish i had land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine are hatching in 5 days
smile.png
but only two.

can't wait to see them.... and cuddle them so they are friendly

Quote:
@ wildorchid (or anyone else who knows): What breed are the blonde-colored chicks in your pictures?? They're GORgeous, and I'm hoping they might be the Buff Orps I'd like to have for my next batch of chicks
smile.png
If they're not, I still love these!
love.gif

31142_009.jpg

Quote:
I keep them inside for a few weeks so I can better regulate the temperature. Be forewarned, that as they get older their cute little chirping gets louder and the stink factor increases. You will want to move them to an environment outside the normal living space as soon as possible. After a week or so take them outside to a covered area like a patio to see how they do in the AZ heat. Make sure they have plenty of liquid... they will probably drink and "pant" to try to regulate their internal temperature. Watch for any ill effects... such as lethargy or decreased coordination, tipping/falling over, etc.

Quote:
I keep them inside for a few weeks so I can better regulate the temperature. Be forewarned, that as they get older their cute little chirping gets louder and the stink factor increases. You will want to move them to an environment outside the normal living space as soon as possible. After a week or so take them outside to a covered area like a patio to see how they do in the AZ heat. Make sure they have plenty of liquid... they will probably drink and "pant" to try to regulate their internal temperature. Watch for any ill effects... such as lethargy or decreased coordination, tipping/falling over, etc.

Thank you so so much

I use two bins for brooders and a long 2X2 for the heat lamp. I can adjust the temp by raising the lamp. I got the idea to use the bin here on this topic but I did the heat lamp differently so I thought I would show it.

Here is my brooder for the first two weeks
34919_chixjuliii_027.jpg
g]

For Weeks 3 and 4 I have a similar set up but the plastic bin is twice the length. Same width and height.

I use the crushed walnut shells for the medium about 1"-1 1/2" thick. It scoops like cat litter and help keeps things clean. Doesn't seem to hurt them and they peck at it but don't eat it.
Caroline - Jax Fl

Back
Top Bottom