BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here's our intermediate brooder that my husband built...Our 6 RIRs spent the first 2 weeks of their lives in a huge blue tote box, and graduated to this one this past Sunday.

Obviously centered around a kid's swimming pool, hubby built the walls in a square. We filled in the corner gaps with a base of newspapers, covered with old towels (so we wouldn't lose any chickies who fell in!), and it's one of their favorite places to sit. (They seem to be very proud of themselves when they're able to jump/fly up there!) Heat lamp is adjustable up top if we need to, but so far the temp's been very stable.

I covered the bottom of the pool with Rubbermaid shelf liner (the webbed rubber kind) to provide footing, and that is covered with pine shavings.

It's hysterical to watch them run across the floor flapping like crazy, now that they have room to run!

I've since put in a couple of stick perches, and they're loving those too
smile.png

DSCF6337400x300.jpg

Quote:
Mine? I agree...they really are pretty girls! Though this week they're lookin a bit scruffy with all the new feathers growing in and downy bits sticking out...but they look like they're going to be gorgeous hens, eventually!
lol.png

Here's my brooders. I have added dimmer swithes to control the heat, but I would love to add a thermostat to automatically control the heat throughout the day. Any suggestions? I'm afraid if I use the bulbs with a thermostat that the light going off and on throughout the day and night would terrify the birds.
30370_brooder_003.jpg

30370_brooder_004.jpg

30370_brooder_005.jpg

Hi All,

I used a 25gallong aquarium I had picked up at a yard sale. After carefully cleaning and sanitizing it, the peepers were placed on pile of wood shavings. A screen came w/the tank, and a warming light, too, as this doubled as a reptile tank for previous owners. This was THE MOST CONVENIENT way to start my birds growing yet, and I've tried many of the other methods listed... one problem was that they messed up the water dispenser with the shavings... saw some practical, inexpensive ideas from other posts that should take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom