BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, May 17, 2007.

1. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Here's what I ended up with. It's an orchard crate with some modification to hang the heat lamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

2. TheFreundFlock

TheFreundFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Willis, Texas
    Ok! So it is bit of an over kill, but when my hubby and I build something we build it to last![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside of the top one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front view!
    [​IMG]
    Now all we need is our baby chicks, which should be hatching any day now![​IMG]

HippyGardener likes this.
  3. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    wow that is great! I want one too. That gives me a great idea for a quail brooder. Thank you for the pictures~ Tacey [​IMG]

4. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:very nice!!!
    Waiting on more hens myself, graduating the 2 hens from spring to one of my 2 coups. Need the brood box for the next group. 5 R.I. Reds and 5 N.H. Reds due out of ideal 07/15 [​IMG]

5. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Here is the last-minute brooder we had to put our first two newly hatched chicks in (I panicked when momma hen tried to toss the first one; she's mothering them now). The first two were only in here one night, and they went back with momma the next day! I spent a lot of time adjusting the lamps, since they never seemed to be just the right temperature, or maybe that was just me. Also, the stove above the brooder hasn't been in use since this last winter, and the picture was taken in early June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheFreundFlock

TheFreundFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Willis, Texas
    Quote:very nice!!!
    Waiting on more hens myself, graduating the 2 hens from spring to one of my 2 coups. Need the brood box for the next group. 5 R.I. Reds and 5 N.H. Reds due out of ideal 07/15 [​IMG]

Thanks! That was kinda the idea, also a good way to split the boys from the girls or if one gets sick to keep it away from the others!

7. needafarm

needafarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Here is mine. Its one of those rabbit cages you can buy at the store. The pan on the bottom works great keeping the mess in and the wire top easily comes off to take out side and put them under it while I work.
    [​IMG]

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Needa farm thats what I use LOL cept the pans on my brooders arent that high [​IMG] That section off my indoor porch is full of kicked out shavings. Inckuding behind the treadmill I never use LOL.

ETA: TheFreundFlock that is SO NOT over kill!!! I wish my brooder was that awesome. That could hold a bizillion chicks (sigh, happy floaty thoughts)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    THIS IS MY BROODER
    [​IMG]
    ITS AN OLD GOAT TROUGH I HAD

10. Gincoza

Gincoza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    dothan,al
    I have 25 white leghorns coming on the 15th, I haver a brooder that was given t me,,my question is,,where can I find the pine shavings everyone seems to think is the best litter for them?,,can I use cedar shavings?,,or maybe shredded paper?..thanks in anvance for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by