BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Hello everyone!......I'm quite excited! We received our e-mail today from mypetchicken.com saying that our babies should be shipping next Monday. We'll be getting 8 Barred Plymouth Rock hens. We've already got the brooder set up and waiting for them. I've even set it up and turned on the heat lamp to make sure it would sustain the right temperature, and as you can see from the photos (I hope), we're good to go. They aren't in the picture, but we also have the waterer and feeder. Now to get the coop built, LOL!
65588_img_1220.jpg

65588_img_1221.jpg

We do the cozy coupe brooders. We ordered our first one from Strombergs then made our own. I like them a lot for silkies. They are made out of cat litter covered pans. Have a plexiglas door on them and you take one of the old porcelain light kits that you used to see in old houses and garages, take an extension cord and cut the part off that you plug other appliances into and wire it into the porcelain light kit. Then you drill two holes in the litter pan and hang it up inside with two bolts and two nuts. plug them in and walla! free of drafts, varmints, smells you name it. You can keep them in your house and you will never know you have chickens. I have three of them and keep them in my chicken house until the chicks are about two weeks old or a little older. Then I move them to a cage with a lamp on them inside the big chicken house.

Now I know why they call is nesting....lol.
big_smile.png
Just set up the brooder and the chicks won't be here for another 9 days.....am I crazy or what?! I used my sons plastic pool and put cardboard around it for extra draft protection.

66694_dscn7119_large.jpg

66694_dscn7121_large.jpg

Are they here yet Mommy???? My almost 3yr is just as excited.

I was cleaning out the brooder today and the chicks were out in the run for an afternoon romp, so I took some pics.
It is made by cobbling together a cabinet from my garage (popped the back out of it) and a small dresser (removed the drawers and popped the backout of it, too). The red side piece is a teacup shelf that had broken. Hardware cloth on the front. I lock the back doors with a padlock to keep the cats from forcing the doors open. The top shelf inside the brooder is accessible to the birds. It has been fun to watch them grown and each learning to jump on the roosting branch one by one. Three of them now can get up to the upper shelf and think themselves queens of the castle.

64662_brooder_001.jpg

64662_brooder_002.jpg

64662_brooder_003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom