BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Hmmm... im not sure if I have the room for that. Maybe I could go for a 3x5? And if not could I stick with my origional measurements as long as I have fewer than 12 chicks?

What is the typical rule of thumb for floor space for banties? Standard sized birds it is 1/2 square per bird, after 4 weeks increase to 3/4 square foot per bird. You need to know how much space they need in order to know how many birds you can put safetly in a 2x4 for however long you want them there.

Here are some pics of my brooders. Very excited about them! I probably looked at 1000s of brooders on the net before I decided what I wanted. The plastic tub is currently home to 4 lavender orpingtons and the big one will house 16 chicks coming from Meyer next week. Those will be 8 buff brahma bantams and 8 more orpingtons. The big brooder is 6x2.5ft. It has two sockets for heat lamps mounted to the inside top with a light switch for each. Bottom doors for easy clean out and shavings change and big wire doors for chick care and chick tv. It's made so that it can easily be divided in half at a later date because who knows what next chick season will bring! Lol

Had to include that last one because it shows the bottom doors best.... And its just funny! Hubs was installing the lights. Lol

Help!! I've just moved my 10 day old chicks into here they are eating the sawdust and flying around is this ok or will they hurt themselves??

Help!! I've just moved my 10 day old chicks into here they are eating the sawdust and flying around is this ok or will they hurt themselves??
. I'd say as long as the sawdust isn't cedar they will be fine. The flying and running is probably there way of injoying a new larger brooder and a great way of exercise.

It is recommended to use flake shavings and not fine to prevent them from being able to eat the shavings as easily.

I would like to thank the poster who suggested using the grippy rubber shelf liner. I love it. I put newspaper down, sprinkle a little PDZ, then put down the grippy shelf liner. When it's time to clean it, I take it out, spray it off, then put it in washer with some bleach. I set it out to dry outside. The chicks can run around on it, no shavings in food it water, it's great. I will switch to shavings later, but for the little guys it works great.

after only a week I moved the 5 EE'S into this much larger cardboard box brooder. So much better,not as much dust from the shavings.From now on I'll just use large pieces of card board taped together.

Our makeshift brooder. Took a welding box from my husband's shop and attached another box for the warming room. Puppy pads are laid down for today but will be adding dry den soon. Was going to get the Eco Glow warmer and still really want it but we're trying to zero balance our daughter's braces right now so warming lamp it is. It's zip tied to my shelf, and the shelf it's self is weighed down on the bottom. Right now no top as I'm locking the doors when not in the laundry room and I'm only one with a key. This weekend I'm making a wire mesh top. In a couple of weeks if my husband hasn't finished the coop (gotta love the promise to have it done before the babies get here) I'm going to add another welder box to this set up

(in case anyone is curious I moved the bag of feed off the top shelf as I just stuck it there when I first came in the room)

Our makeshift brooder. Took a welding box from my husband's shop and attached another box for the warming room. Puppy pads are laid down for today but will be adding dry den soon. Was going to get the Eco Glow warmer and still really want it but we're trying to zero balance our daughter's braces right now so warming lamp it is. It's zip tied to my shelf, and the shelf it's self is weighed down on the bottom. Right now no top as I'm locking the doors when not in the laundry room and I'm only one with a key. This weekend I'm making a wire mesh top. In a couple of weeks if my husband hasn't finished the coop (gotta love the promise to have it done before the babies get here) I'm going to add another welder box to this set up

Nice job!!

Put a metal mesh top on the 'warming room' and you can set the lamp right on top of the mesh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom