BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here is mine! This used to be a 4' x 8' whelping box we used for our golden retrievers. Great way to re purpose it! I used half of it for the first 2 weeks and the full box until 4 weeks and I just opened up the extra pen for them yesterday complete with updated feeder and waterer they will be in that for a few more weeks until I can introduce them to the big girls.

Last edited:
This is the new brooder I built in the past couple days. I got the idea from Pinterest that was originally posted here on BYC. Slighly smaller to help fit in the area I need it too. [/IMG][/IMG]

I am building this design too. I also modified the size to fit the space I have for it. I did build a removable base that hopefully can store inside it when not in use. I am thinking it may be to tall to fit inside. I did this so I can store the needed items below the brooder. It is a cool design IMO.

nice!

I added the screened lids to mine today. went to HD to get the supplies, and all the hardware cloth they had in stock was 50' rolls. bad as I hate using poultry cloth, I needed to get the lids on, the lil buggers are jumping around a flapping their wings, to the point I was beginning to worry they were close to getting out.

I also made a couple coke bottle nipple water bottles and put them in an extra shampoo bottle holder for the shower. They've looked it over good, none have made the first peck yet. I also stood a piece of 2x4 on edge, a couple of them have already begun to roost on it. Just long enough to fool the rest of them, let them pile up to sleep then jump off the roost in the middle of the pile, HA

Here is my Brooder set up,right now 5 EE'S are in there. Just a pack n play ,pine shavings, then puppy liners on top they kept eating the shavings and I have two with a little runny poo, the liners help me keep a better eye on their droppings. The temp is set at
93° they seem to be very comfortable.

I just got chicks moved out to the new brooder I built from a 4'x8'x2' shipping crate and plywood from a 2'x8'x2' shipping crate. It's a double brooder and I have the bottom controlled by a hot water thermostat. The top heat lamps are controlled by a dimmer switch. I covered the windows with left over hardware cloth and warehouse door plastic strips we had, also purchased used from a Recycled Restore. It is still very cold here. I purchased the crates because they had new 4x4x8 treated post I wanted for horse fencing and good plywood and 2x4s. I cut off the post and turned it on its side and added wheels to one end for moving. Here's a pic of the bottom brooder
with the door flipped up. I think it will be easy to clean because I can remove the plywood just below each window and brush out shavings. I was able to purchase hinges and vinyl flooring from Habitat Restore so, total cost was less than $60.00 including lights, wire, wheels and thermostat.

I got four 1 week old chicks on Tuesday. They are in a tote with a red light. The store did not have heat plates. Today we are fixing a top for it so that they cannot fly out. I have seen them trying....so I hope hubby gets the top made quickly. I have been putting apple in for them which they don't seem interested in. I put in a plug of wild grass and moss and it has disappeared.

I wonder about how to acclimate them to the outside and when..... we are supposed to have more snow today and then (hopefully) warmer weather.

I guess they have been at the store for most of their first week and they are a bit skittish with us. I am trying to get them more used to me as I think it will be helpful when they are out in a pen and I need to catch them to bring them inside.

Any tips?
thnx

To figure out what temperature they need just remember 1st week they need 90-95 degs F. and 5 degs less each week until they are fully feathered out. They don't have to have the whole area at that temperature but, need to be able to go to a warm area if, they get chilled. Congrats on the new babies!

I got four 1 week old chicks on Tuesday. They are in a tote with a red light. The store did not have heat plates. Today we are fixing a top for it so that they cannot fly out. I have seen them trying....so I hope hubby gets the top made quickly. I have been putting apple in for them which they don't seem interested in. I put in a plug of wild grass and moss and it has disappeared.

I wonder about how to acclimate them to the outside and when..... we are supposed to have more snow today and then (hopefully) warmer weather.

I guess they have been at the store for most of their first week and they are a bit skittish with us. I am trying to get them more used to me as I think it will be helpful when they are out in a pen and I need to catch them to bring them inside.

Any tips?
thnx
Are you providing some chick grit along with that apple?
They really should only get chick feed until they are a couple weeks old then they need grit to digest anything else.

Is the red light a heat lamp?
It may be too hot if the tote is small, they need a cooler place in the brooder to get away from the heat if they need too.

Are they in the house?
You may only need an regular bulb to keep them warm enough if in a warm house.

Here's my notes on chick heat, hope something in there might help:
They need to be pretty warm(~85F on the brooder floor right under the lamp) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker integration to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder. I do think it's a good idea to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to check the temps, especially when new at brooding, later i still use it but more out of curiosity than need.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp

Back
Top Bottom