BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here is our set up for our chicks due to arrive in 2 days! A kiddie pool that has a built in slide( coveted by the cardboard for safety!)
Testing out the heat lamp placement currently- it's reading really high :/
Two waterers and a feeder for 8 chicks. Pine shavings for bedding. All purchased from my pet chicken. Com.

Attachments

• 20170605_202829.jpg
    20170605_202829.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170605_171203.jpg
    20170605_171203.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 71
I saw that some folks who have posted here used a dimmer switch to regulate the temperature. This inspired me to make these two brooders out of large clear plastic totes. I have found that moisture/ventilation is a problem with these plastic totes but cleaning is a breeze.

Things I will change on the next one I build:
1. Use a potlight-style light fixture to allow for use of red spot light style heater bulbs. The two brooders in the photographs use a 100watt or a 200watt incandescent bulb, and it seams to require slightly less than 100watts to achieve a temperature of 35-37.5 degrees Celsius. I am noticing my ring-necked pheasant chicks becoming a little aggressive, which I have read on Macfarlane's web page is common with white light.
or....
2. use black light bulbs. perhaps I could simply paint a traditional bulb black/red? black bulbs with high enough wattage are hard to find.

Attachments

• IMG_6707.JPG
    IMG_6707.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 67
Here is our set up for our chicks due to arrive in 2 days! A kiddie pool that has a built in slide( coveted by the cardboard for safety!)
Testing out the heat lamp placement currently- it's reading really high :/
Two waterers and a feeder for 8 chicks. Pine shavings for bedding. All purchased from my pet chicken. Com.

Just a word of warning, the chicks are going to be able to jump out of the kittie pools pretty quickly. I'd suggest something with at least three foot high walls (they'll need room to grow & for a roost above the floor) and a screen, chicken wire or hardware cloth top.

Yes I will be lengthening the sides with cardboard in the near future. And also lifting the water and food off the litter with wood blocks, as well as adding a roost for them :)

this year I used my toolshed floor as a brooder. my tools were on the shelves 4ft off the ground. at 3-4 weeks old the little brats were flying up and pooping on my tools. So, yeah probably slap some 2ft cardboard sides on and maybe some 2inch whole chicken wire on the top. then do whatever you gotta do to get your heatlamp at the right height. might have to run the chain from which it dangles through the wire, or maybe it will be bright/warm enough from 2ft above the bedding.

I have ten new EE chicks coming this week and I am still trying to decide if I should set their brooder up in the coop with my 12 five month old hens and 2 six month old roosters or if their brooder needs to be in a separate area or even inside the house.

Back
Top Bottom