BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Thanks, Becky! Mine do seem to be happy little gals.
smile.png
Which makes me a happy little gal, too!!

Okay its no Merceded Benz of Brooders, but lets face it how long are you going to use it for exactly?

I originally bought a catbox brooder through Strombergs for $39 bucks with shipping. Yeah, well they outgrew that in ohhhh about 3 seconds....LOL
lol.png

I posted this elsewhere but figure this is really the proper place for it....Our Cheap Chick Crib

We used a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote from Lowes- $19
Misc Dowels for perches- $3.00
Section of Hardware Fabric- $4.00
Misc bolts, Washers and nuts...the kind with large screw heads-$2.50
Small Utility Light- $5.00
thermometer- $1.00
duct tape

We cut the entire top of the cover out, leaving only a 3' lip on top. Cut Hardware Fabric to size, attached with Bolts. Placed Feeders on 2- 2x4 end pieces so wood chips dont clog 'em up and placed the utility lights on top (started with 2, one for each end. You can regulate temp by wattage on bulb and using a towel to cover open top spaces.
Duct tape the edges to the wire ends dont scratch

DH Placed dowls inside for perches....birds on perches=more floor space for the rest. Took about 30 min. to assemble.

Easy to disinfect, big enough to house 'trouble chickens' in the future and store hay in too!.. They love it!

Not too bad for less than $40 buckaroonies!

004.jpg

006.jpg

001.jpg

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I love this last pic, you can see my two little black sexlinks in either corner of the pic where they are roosting. everytime I open the lid zip, dot and/or dash hope up for a visit!
008.jpg

Last edited:
9057_brooder.jpg

Made one just like this one for less than $20.00 Now, it is a heated litter box, illumination included !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, here is a picture of my brooder:) This is a really small banty hen, she has made herself into such a big circle! I hope I do the image right, do not really know how to do it. OK I guess I did the image thing right, yeah! Here is a pic of Nugget (my 5 year old grandson named her) we were really happy when she decided to sit.
1646_spring_rain_2008_091.jpg

1646_water_park_with_dad_042.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the idea of using the stock waterer!! I have one of those!! It was the "dog pool" for our Bordeax Mastiff. Our current Mastiff has never been one to soak in the pool. I use it now for collecting rain water off the roof.

I am now going to think about how to rig up a secure top for the dog pool...

thinkingpacing.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the idea of using the stock waterer!! I have one of those!! It was the "dog pool" for our Bordeax Mastiff. Our current Mastiff has never been one to soak in the pool. I use it now for collecting rain water off the roof.

I am now going to think about how to rig up a secure top for the dog pool...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/thinkingpacing.gif

Can't help with that as mine have been in a secure room in it. I've had them in there up to 4-5 weeks without them flying out.

I started my chicks in the bathtub, but that only lasted a week. They are now in a big box in the garage that I peiced together from many small boxes. A little funny looking, but it works! And it was free!!
big_smile.png

13500_p8100070.jpg
13500_p8100072.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom