BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here is our brooder, Just the largest Rubbermaid Tub I could find locally. The lamp is hung from the ceiling for safety and I only kept the paper towels in there for the first 2-3days so the chicks would know what there food was. Then I just use pine pellets for there bedding, but reading on here about sand? Do many of you use Sand for your brooder bedding? I had really though about this for coop, but I think this might have been the first of me reading about using it for bedding in a brooder? Is this safe for chicks to have all there bedding be sand? Wondering if it would help lower the smell. They are 2ish weeks old right now and I have been wondering to myself a way to lower the odor, it's not ALL them it is the pine bedding mainly I think. REALLY thinking about going to Lowes now and picking up a 50lb bag of kids play sand and trying this out.
They are just about ready to upgrade I'd say in a weeks time, so I'm going to try and find some local places with BIG boxes and maybe line the bottom with something so it can't become damp or wet.
hmmm....

I'm not an expert... but I am using sand. My chicks aren't eating it (though I used paper towels for the first two days). They love scratching in it. They barely get any of it where it shouldn't be (water, food). That being said, they're only a week... so who knows what time will bring.

I will say that I bought a reptile scoop and give it a quick scrape to clean it. No smell, and I have yet to add more sand. I've barely wasted any. A few tablespoons worth, maybe?

I did hear that the sand could get too warm directly under the light in the first week or two. No idea if that's true, but I put a small pile of pine bedding below the light. That being said, my girls don't like to sleep in that ;)

Whatever you pick, I'm sure they'll be happy!

I made our brooder from a wood box I found in the garbage outside a local sign company. I had to replace one side because it was broken. Then, I just extended the height for when they get a little older and put hardware cloth around the sides and the top I made for it. The brooder is 3' x 4'.

That is really nice!

Here is my brooder, made from pallets and sawhorses with cardboard walls. Got my chicks 2 hours ago! Their sounds seem like contented peeping, so I hope they are warm enough?!? They are so cute, I can't stand it!!!

Last edited:
question. I have my brooder in our laundry room. I was wondering if I could move it to our garage? I am just afraid it is going to be too cold. Forecasted lows are 35 at night. The chicks are about 3 weeks old and are feathered except the neck and head. I have a 125W white bulb in there now and they are nice and toasty.

question. I have my brooder in our laundry room. I was wondering if I could move it to our garage? I am just afraid it is going to be too cold. Forecasted lows are 35 at night. The chicks are about 3 weeks old and are feathered except the neck and head. I have a 125W white bulb in there now and they are nice and toasty.
I have 2, 3 & 4 week old chicks in my pole barn for the past week. It is supposed to get down to 38 tonight. I do have a 250 heat light on for them and they seem to be fine. It also depends how many you have as they will huddle together to keep warm. I have 23 chicks so they have plenty to huddle with. They are in a 4' x 8' brooder.

Back
Top Bottom